83 people are interested
SHINE Volunteer Medicare Counselor
ORGANIZATION: Senior Connection Center
Please visit the new page to apply.
83 people are interested
* Virtual opportunity, but you must attend quarterly trainings in-person at least 4 times per year. Our main office is located in the Tampa/Brandon area.Mentoring sessions can be done, in-person or via ZOOM. You must reside in one of the Counties that we serve:
Many Floridians find the Medicare system to be daunting and there are millions of individuals who need guidance to understand their options. By joining our award-winning team, you'll gain the ability to change lives for the better by empowering older adults and individuals with disabilities to be confident and in control of their health care choices. Since 1993, SHINE has helped the aging and disabled populations save millions of dollars by providing free, unbiased Medicare counseling assistance.
Individuals volunteering for SHINE receive the following benefits:
- Professional training by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs and their local Area Agency on Aging
- Opportunities for additional training, growth, and leadership
- Gaining the ability to serve the local community by educating others on an individual basis, as well as through various outreach opportunities
- Become a local hero to those who truly need your help. In addition to serving members in your community, the invaluable knowledge and experience you gain with SHINE can be beneficial for you, your friends and loved ones.
Studies have shown that volunteering boosts self-confidence, life satisfaction and even your health! If you want to challenge yourself to have a more active mind, a stronger sense of purpose, greater social involvement and improved mental, emotional, and physical health, the SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) is the volunteer opportunity you’ve been looking for!
Here is a link to the state-wide SHINE website: http://www.floridashine.org/
Please note that after training, the volunteer has the option of providing services in-person or over the phone at various counseling sites OR they can provide services over the phone from their home. You are not required to do all of your volunteering at our Agency location.
In addition to phone counseling, we also provided virtual counseling.
About Senior Connection Center
8928 Brittany Way, Tampa, FL 33619, US
To help older adults and individuals with disabilities live with independence and dignity.
We are the Senior Connection Center, a not-for-profit, 501(c)3 corporation dedicated to helping people age at home with dignity for over 30 years. Our staff of volunteers and professionals work closely with seniors, their families, and caregivers, and help identify and locate the services they need. We serve people who typically are 60 years of age and older in a five county area in Florida encompassing Hillsborough, Polk, Manatee, Highlands and Hardee Counties. Our staff will explain your options and guide you through the maze of programs and services available to you. You will be able to plan for the future and make informed decisions for yourself or someone you care for.
Some of the services we offer include:
Health care information
In-home care information
Helping to locate providers
Working with the legislature on senior issues
Caregiver assistance programs
Acting as your advocate with government programs
Educational and outreach programs
All of our programs and assistance are available at no cost to you. We receive funding from state and federal grants administered through the Florida Department of Elder Affairs. The rest of our expenses are met through the donations of generous and caring individuals and corporations. We urge you to support those companies that help us with our mission.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 15, 2023
- Basic Computer Skills
- Elder care
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Community Outreach
- Customer Service
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- After training, at least 16 hours per month
- Candidates may not have any insurance licenses as this is considered a conflict of interest