16 people are interested
Foster Pets for the Roanoke Valley SPCA!
ORGANIZATION: Roanoke Valley SPCA
Please visit the new page to apply.
16 people are interested
While our Adoption Center is a wonderful place for a dog or cat to find a new home, if an animal temporarily has special needs, we prefer they live in a foster home until ready for adoption. Usually these are short term situations, and a foster home is only needed for 2-4 weeks. That animal is then brought back into the Adoption Center and made available for adoption after being spayed or neutered. Animals that are typically fostered are:
- Kittens--Kittens, in a litter or alone, are fostered until they are eight weeks old and weigh two pounds. Most kittens are fostered for 2-6 weeks. These litters may or may not have the mama cat with them. Mama gets spayed afterwards.
- Puppies--Puppies, in a litter or alone, are fostered until they are 8 weeks old and can be altered. These litters may or may not have the mama dog with them. Mama gets spayed afterwards.
- Sick animals--Occasionally we have a animal who suffers from a minor common ailment, such as an upper respiratory infection, who needs to recover outside of the shelter. These are usually minor cases, but it is recommended these animals be kept from resident dogs and cats to avoid spreading the disease.
- Animals recovering from surgery--If an animal has had surgery, we generally allow the animal to recover in a foster home instead of the shelter, to ensure that animal's needs are fully met.
- Undersocialized animals--If our staff determines that an animal in our facility is undersocialized, we will place that animal with a foster family to gain more socialization skills. This might be a shy animal, a young animal that is "mouthy" and needs to learn proper bite inhibition, etc.
About Roanoke Valley SPCA
1340 Baldwin Ave NE, ROANOKE, VA 24012, US
We’re working to create a community where there are no homeless cats or dogs through the power of adoption, prevention and intervention.
The Roanoke Valley Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ("RVSPCA") limited intake, adoption and education center. We provide a safe and loving home for animals for as long as they need it. Only those animals suffering from conditions that are beyond help are ever euthanized.
The RVSPCA's is working to create a community where there are no homeless cats or dogs through the power of adoption, prevention and intervention.
We work to bring animals and people together.
We maintain that spaying, neutering and humane education are the solutions to homeless animals.
We provide services that address financial hardships, medical problems and behavioral challenges to enable animals to stay in their homes or be adopted.
1340 Baldwin Ave NEROANOKE, VA 24012
August 18, 2023
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18