We need a few volunteers in the Anne Arundel County, Washington, DC metro area who would be willing to occasionally work with the IEDRO Executive Director at IEDRO Heaquarters in Deale, MD (just south of Annapolis) as well as support us from their homes via phone and e-mails.The International Environmental Data Rescue Organization ( IEDRO ) needs volunteers to support its efforts to locate, rescue and digitize historic weather data throughout the world. IEDRO ensures the data we collect is made openly available to the world's scientific and educational communities through NOAA's National Climatic Data Center.. Some of the areas in which IEDRO could use your help in the area of Data Rescue and Digitization (DR&D) are to: 1. Suggest data in need of rescue and digitization, and areas of the world where data holes exist. 2. Author articles on the critical need for historic data for our website and free monthly newsletter, The International Data Rescue News ,
1. Develop new ways to digitize data as well as assemble a section on our IEDRO web site where anyone can visit to see what digital hydromet data are available throughout the world and who to contact to access the data.
2. Provide liaison with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), American Meteorological Society (AMS), NOAA/National Weather Service and with data rescue project teams overseas (ability to communicate in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic etc. would be an advantage).
3. Research special areas such as the uses of historic data in operations and hydrometeorology, locations and contents of data archived worldwide, and data rescue projects underway.
4. Work with IEDRO programmers and meteorologists to devise digitization programs for analog and alphanumeric data.
5. Learn to and then advise national meteorological services on the preservation of data on paper, microfiche/microfilm and magnetic tape.
6. Or just simply brainstorming with us, helping us work with schools, letters, mailings, etc.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18