The work we do will save more lives every year than a cure of Cancer, HIV and Heart Disease together. Yet, hardly anyone knows of us or what we have been doing for over a decade.
That's our fault. We are not fundraisers or marketeers. We are atmospheric scientists - meteorologists, hydrologists, climatologists who are dedicated to locate, rescue and digitize the world's historic weather records before they are lost forever. We know the critical need to save these disappearing records and to use them in hundreds of applications that save lives. We estimate that the world loses about 500,000 of these records every day.
If we could locate, rescue and digitize all the world's historic weather records, we could save 8,000,000 to 10,000,000 lives every year.
We need your help.
Work with our small group of dedicated volunteers a few hours a week either from home via the Internet and telephone, or at our headquarters in Deale, MD (just south of Annapolis) and know you are contributing directly to saving lives throughout the world, mainly in developing countries.
You don't need any scientific experience or education, just a willingness to dedicate a few hours in supporting one or more of a variety of needs.
Our 501(C)(3) non-profit is The International Environmental Data Rescue Organization (IEDRO)
Some of the areas in which IEDRO could use your help:
- Help write articles on the critical need for historic data for our website (IEDRO.ORG)
- Work with our sister organizations such as the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), American Meteorological Society (AMS), NOAA/National Weather Service, the World Bank, the United Nations Development Program, etc. with Data Rescue
- Assist our data rescue project teams overseas (ability to communicate in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic etc. would be an advantage).
- Research special areas such as the uses of historic weather data
- Learn to and then advise national meteorological services on the preservation of data on paper, microfiche/microfilm and magnetic tape.
- Simply brainstorming with us.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Public Speaking
- Public Relations
- Website Project Management
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- A minimum of 4 hours/week
- Willingness to learn about IEDRO and explore areas in which you could help. Self-starter,