The little horses/minis need help to work in the community two or more times a month (approx 6-8 hours a month) mostly on Saturdays. (some months we work every weekend). We require a commitment of at least 2 visits per month to be active.
A mini handler works in a 2 person team with a mini at our many facilities we visit on weekends. Everyone starts at the back-end, meaning you are the one that guides the mini around wheelchairs/walkers and also the one responsible for scooping accidents that may occur (easy - dog scooper). After you have been to a few visits you move to the front end - which often entails stooping by your mini to advocate safety while hands pet him. The front end also guides hands to where they can pet or hug the mini.
Everyone must attend our Equine Guided Interactions Training (EGI). This is a 3 hour class with hands-on following the visual aid we provide you.
- You must fill out the application which will be sent to you on request
- You must have returned it before you receive the location to the training
- At the training, you will receive a workbook with a visual aid on EGI and your logo t-shirt
- There is a $20.00 admin fee which helps us with the cost of the workbook and logo t-shirt.
- We ask that you sign up for the first EGI visit that is on the schedule following the training for more practice.
Minis and Friends visits with those that have special needs - children, youth, adult and seniors - or whom life's circumstances have created a special need. Please see our webpage to learn about how you can help too -- www.minisandfriends.org
Age is 16 and up with parent. Students welcome that need community service for school.
Have fun and do something unique - the minis love people and we need your help.
"Won't you help a mini today?"
- Grant Writing / Research
- Video Production
- Public Relations
- Graphic Design / Print
- Animal Therapy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- 6 to 8 hours a month
- 2 visits per month, students 1 visit per month