First Things First Women's Literacy Intern Summer 2019
53 people are interested
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC in Atlanta office was established in 1979 and has resettled over 21,000 refugees from nearly 50 countries into the Greater Atlanta area. As the largest refugee resettlement agency in Georgia, the IRC in Atlanta resettles an average of 800 refugees into Georgia annually and provides additional services and assistance to another 1,500 refugees and asylees.
SCOPE OF FIRST THINGS FIRST WOMEN’S LITERACY INTERN WORK: First Things First is an innovative program that provides intensive beginning English as a Second Language (ESL) services to refugee women, while childcare is provided for their children under the age of two. ESL topics are tailored to the specific survival needs of women and families.
This internship is 10 hours a week for a minimum of 3 months. Interns must be available during class time 9:30-11:30am Monday to Thursday
- Assist instructor in developing and implementing pre-literacy and literacy-level appropriate activities
- Assist instructor in daily classroom activities, including one-on-one tutoring, leading small group practice, and teaching specific components of the curriculum
- Support program activities by researching new curriculum content and preparing educational materials as requested by instructor
- Assist with record-keeping, data entry, and file maintenance to support program administration
- Support structure and schedule of program
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Must be comfortable working in a cross-cultural environment
- Experience working with refugees or immigrants preferred
- Previous teaching experience a plus
- Must be flexible and creative
- Must have initiative and be able to work independently
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude
We'll work with your schedule.
2305 Parklake DriveSuite 100Atlanta, GA 30345
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18