Volunteers are needed to shop for groceries the day after a refugee family's arrival. The volunteer uses a supermarket gift card to purchase food with the family in the morning or afternoon the day after they arrive, usually with an interpreter present. Sometimes this can be done in the evening, but we strive for the daytime if possible.
Volunteer Impact: Volunteers who help grocery shop many times are involved in helping set up apartments as well. The grocery shopper also makes a difference in a refugee or immigrant's first impression of the United States. Having a fully stocked apartment relieves much of the initial stress of coming to a strange land with nothing and lets the new clients focus on other matters that arise when they first arrive.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Citizenship Tutor
- Bilingual (Spanish-English)...
- Donations Procurement Assistance...
- Start a Donations Drive
- Donations Organizer
- English as a Second Language Tutor
- Building Futures: Youth Tutors...
- CLIENT TRANSPORTATION
- Special Events Volunteer
- New Beginnings Youth Tutor/Mentor
- Donations Organizer - Warehouse
- Summer Youth Program Volunteer
- Elderly Program Volunteers/Mentors
- Family Center Volunteer
- Grocery Shopper
- Apartment Set-Up