Dallas Area Craft/Sewing Project Volunteers
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
129 people are interested
There are as many special projects as there are unique volunteers. We always have a need for crafters to make lap robes, shawls, blankets, pillowcases, small pillows, afghans, or small decorative items for patients' rooms...all of which can be lovingly supplied from the hands of our wonderful craft volunteers.
Ideas of Items to Make for Patients:
- Small pillows for patients to hold different colors or patterns. Either sewn or there might be a way to get material glue to glue the edges instead of sewing.
- Fleece blankets that you just tie together and don’t have to sew - Purple is our Seasons color or they can be any colors
- Any blankets whether crochet or knitting
- Smaller lab robes
- Booties for the feet or caps for the head - stretchy either crochet, knitting, or sewn
- Home made sleeves to project patient’s arms (can make from cotton tube socks with little dcor on the end)
- Large insulated cups to keep water at their bedside
I believe Wal-Mart has them cheap and plain...just begging to be gussied up for our patients
- Small wreath for door or bedside
- Door hanger
- Greeting cards
- Booklets of pictures (animals, places of travel, or scenery)
- Eye catching small items to hang in patients’ rooms
- Crafty Christmas tree or stocking
- Hand Rolls so patient’s finger nails don’t dig into hands - big ones for men at 3.5X5.5. The medium size is 3X4.5. Important thing is to stuff them pretty tightly so they are squeezable but not collapsible. We just use batting from the sewing aisle. Can use whatever scrap material you already have so you aren’t out a cost. If do buy fabric, nothing too felty otherwise food and gross stuff gets stuck to it.
- Occasionally, a family will ask for something to be made from an item (i.e. a shirt) that once belonged to their loved one. We call the items 'Memory Bears' or 'Memory Pillows', etc.
We would love to hear your ideas as well! Items may be made at home and delivered to our office or a staff member will be happy to pick up.
We'll work with your schedule.
Make Crafts from HomeDallas, TX 75243
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training