CUMAC is looking for volunteers to assist our truck driver as he picks up and delivers the food, clothing and other donations that make our work possible. This role is absolutely critical to the work we do and does come with a few requirements. An assistant truck driver should be:
- able to lift up to 50 pounds
- physically able to lift and bend while loading and unloading trucks, as well as sit comfortably during trips
- responsible. The assistant truck driver is an extremely important role within our agency and we would need a volunteer who is reliable, timely and able to let us know in advance when they can't make it in.
- friendly and respectful as a representative of our agency to our donors
- comfortable following the directions of our truck driver (who plans the route and decides whether or not we're able to take an item)
Volunteers are needed Monday-Friday from 8:30/9am until around 2pm. We don't expect a volunteer to work every day of the week, but would like a volunteer to be able to commit to one day a week. A long term commitment is preferable due to the training involved.
We are located in downtown Paterson, just off routes 80 and 4 and we have an off street lot for you to keep your own car in while out on the road with our truck. Our typical pick up route takes us within a 10 mile radius of Paterson, but occasionally we plan longer day trips, which you would know in advance.
If you are interested in this position, we would love for you to come in to meet our drivers and staff, take a tour of our programs and receive orientation.
*Our assistant truck driver will not be driving vehicles and as such a valid drivers license is not required.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 21
- 5 hour shifts
- ability to bend and lift