OMSI Chemistry Lab Volunteer Educator (age 18+)
66 people are interested
OMSI looking for volunteers in our Chemistry Lab! Visitors to the Chemistry Lab wear goggles and perform hands-on, wet chemistry activities, view displays, and observe chemistry demonstrations. Chemistry Lab volunteers assist with laboratory management and inquiry-based teaching.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from Chemistry Lab exhibits and activities.
- Present chemistry demonstrations to the public, such as the Thirsty Cup, Rocket Launch, or Dry Ice Tricks.
- Set up and restock laboratory experiments and maintain the clean appearance of activity stations.
- Assist staff in the development of new activities, displays, or demonstrations.
- Completed high school level chemistry.
- Committed to sharing accurate scientific information.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to receive instructions from Chemistry Lab Educators and follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual, and able to commit to a regular schedule.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month for minimum 9 months