OMSI Chemistry Lab Volunteer Educator (age 18+)
83 people are interested
OMSI looking for volunteers in our Chemistry Lab! Visitors to the Chemistry Lab wear goggles and perform hands-on, wet chemistry activities, view displays, and observe chemistry demonstrations. Chemistry Lab volunteers assist with laboratory management and inquiry-based teaching.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from Chemistry Lab exhibits and activities.
- Present chemistry demonstrations to the public, such as the Thirsty Cup, Rocket Launch, or Dry Ice Tricks.
- Set up and restock laboratory experiments and maintain the clean appearance of activity stations.
- Assist staff in the development of new activities, displays, or demonstrations.
- Completed high school level chemistry.
- Committed to sharing accurate scientific information.
- Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels.
- Able to receive instructions from Chemistry Lab Educators and follow OMSI rules and procedures.
- Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres.
- Must present a professional appearance.
- Dependable and punctual, and able to commit to a regular schedule.
- Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
About Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI)
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
- Math / Science Instruction
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month for minimum 9 months