Tube City Renaissance Housing & Community Development - AmeriCorps VISTA

Save to Favorites

ORGANIZATION: Idealist.org

Recruiting Organization: Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group

Gain valuable nonprofit operations experience while making a difference as an AmeriCorps VISTA serving with Tube City Renaissance of McKeesport, PA. TCR is a nonprofit community organization responding to the economic decline of the City of McKeesport by organizing individuals and resources to meet identified community needs. We work to create economic opportunity and healthy, sustainable communities through affordable housing, community development, public safety, and more.

As a member of the Pittsburgh Community Reinvestment Group (PCRG), Tube City Renaissance collaborates with other community-based non-profits across the region to achieve economic justice and racial equity through community revitalization efforts. PCRG sponsors a cohort of 10 AmeriCorps VISTAs who serve for one year at a community-based nonprofit in the Pittsburgh area to grow their organizational capacity to uplift residents out of poverty. As part of the PCRG VISTA cohort, a VISTA member placed at TCR will serve by furthering work that invests in community and economic development to improve quality of life and increase access to capital/economic opportunity for under-resourced communities.

To this end, the VISTA’s core responsibilities during their service year with TCR will include expanding our network to continue development projects in low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. These projects will strengthen the housing infrastructure of target neighborhoods and build capacity for our Urban Farming Initiative and Waterfront Development. The VISTA will research grant programs for TCR’s programs and projects, as well as conduct a SWOT analysis and design a plan for a community asset database. For the urban farming initiative, they will develop resources and partners, create a volunteer management database, and update outreach and marketing templates. The VISTA’s secondary focus will be on communication and marketing systems, and they’ll maintain TCR’s online presence through website updates and social media, while developing community and stakeholder engagement systems.

The PCRG VISTA program has been successful in advancing the careers of its VISTA members, who are given opportunities for professional development (i.e., classes, conferences, etc.) while gaining valuable career & life experience. About 70% of VISTAs that complete their year with one of PCRG’s host sites go on to staff positions at community non-profits, while the other 30% have pursued higher education, often supported by the end-of-service education award. A VISTA year also provides benefits such as student loan deferment, healthcare, childcare assistance, relocation assistance, and more. Learn more about the benefits of VISTA service on the AmeriCorps website: https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers/vista/benefits .

Stipend ProvidedFalse

Training ProvidedFalse

Housing AvailableFalse

Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse

Wheelchair AccessibleFalse

Fee RequiredFalse

Fee Amount: None

This opportunity is recurring

4915 More opportunities with Idealist.org

Request failed
{{ opp.title }}
This is a Virtual Opportunity.
{{ opp.location }}
We'll work with your schedule
{{ opp.dateStr }}
{{ opp.timeStr }}
More
Opportunities

About Idealist.org

Location:

389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US

Mission Statement

To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.

Description

Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.

CAUSE AREAS

Community
Homeless & Housing
Politics
Community, Homeless & Housing, Politics

WHEN

Sun Jul 30, 2023 - Wed Jul 31, 2024
05:00 PM - 04:59 PM

WHERE

600 Walnut StreetMcKeesport, PA 15132

(40.34969,-79.86504)
 

SKILLS

GOOD FOR

N/A

REQUIREMENTS

  • WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME

Report this opportunity