15 people are interested
Refugee Youth Tutor (Must live within commuting distance of Orange, Osceola, and Seminole counties))
ORGANIZATION: Catholic Charities of Central Florida, Inc.
Please visit the new page to apply.
15 people are interested
Please contact email@example.com to set up an initial virtual 30 minute Interest Meeting
Program: Catholic Charities Refugee Youth Program
Responsibilities for Tutors:
* Visit or be in contact with a Refugee youth weekly or bi-weekly for at least four to six-month period
* Help the youth to improve their English skills through tutoring
* Assist the youth with homework if it is needed
* Academic support in core subjects (English, Math, Science and Social Studies)
* Assist the youth to prepare for State Exams, ACT, SAT
* Assist the youth with GED preparation if applicable
* Assist the youth improving computer literacy if needed
* Record hours on CERVIS (volunteer website) at the end of each month or report hours to youth
* Contact the youth caseworker to share information about the youth client’s progress monthly or in
case of any question or concern, contact the youth caseworker as soon as possible
* Commitment with the youth client for at least four to six months
* A willingness to interact with youth from different cultures
* Needs to be able to patiently work with people with limited English ability
* Will need to be fingerprinted and have a security clearance completed
* Must be 18 or older to tutor youth clients one on one
* Volunteers under 18 must be supervised by another qualified volunteer 18 or older
Training: Tutors must attend a brief orientation at the Catholic Charities office; meet or talk with the
program caseworker before meeting with the youth.
Scheduling: This is flexible and should be decided upon by the youth and the mentor. Meeting times will
generally be late afternoon, early evening and/or weekends. Volunteers should inform the Youth
caseworker about their schedule with the youth. Volunteers should also inform the caseworker and the
youth’s family when they decide to stop volunteering.
* Making new friends from another country
* Exploring a new culture and new language
About Catholic Charities of Central Florida, Inc.
1819 N. Semoran Blvd., Orlando, FL 32807, US
The Catholic Charities of Central Florida mission is provide vital social services to people in need regardless of their religious, social or economic background, to improve lives of individuals, families and the community.
Catholic Charities is a nonprofit social agency that assists the poor and underprivilaged.
To see more volunteer opportunities and fill out an application, please visit our volunteer page!
Multiple locations Orlando, FL 32807
January 18, 2024
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Must be able to commit to at least 4 to 6 months of tutoring.