9 people are interested
Adult Literacy Tutor - English Language Learners (ELL) - Port Hueneme
ORGANIZATION: Ventura County Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
9 people are interested
Become a Volunteer Adult Literacy Tutor - English Language Learner (ELL)!
Ventura County Library’s READ Adult Literacy Program helps adults improve their reading and writing skills so that they can perceive a positive impact on their lives in such areas as self-esteem, employment, family life, and community involvement. This is a new program - we are seeking dynamic volunteers to lead small group events or hold one-on-one tutoring sessions with English Language Learners.
Details about the Ray D. Prueter Library in Port Hueneme can be found here:
As a tutor, you will be:
- Trained to provide free one-to-one reading and writing instruction, along with ELL best practices.
- Paired with an adult learner at a library location convenient for you.
- Or, lead a small group event focused on practicing conversational English.
- Expected to meet as a pair, or lead a small group, for about an hour a week.
Our main goals include:
- Developing students' receptive English language skills of listening and reading comprehension.
- Developing students' productive English language skills in speaking and writing.
The benefits of tutoring include:
- Helping change someone’s life and positively impacting the community.
- Building tutoring experience and developing a professional network in adult education.
We are affiliated with:
- California Library Literacy Services (CLLS) - libraryliteracy.org
- ProLiteracy - proliteracy.org
For more information, please email READ@ventura.org.
About Ventura County Library
5600 Everglades S., Ste A, Ventura, CA 93003, US
Mission: Ventura County Library: Inspiring our community to explore, discover, and connect. Vision: We are committed to providing the communities we serve with the very best of what libraries can provide in as many ways and as conveniently as possible. Our communities are a vital part of deciding how to create and improve our libraries. We listen for their voices and respond to their ideas. We invite and welcome everyone to engage in lifelong learning with us at VCL.
The goal of Ventura County Library's READ Program is to help adults improve their reading and writing skills so that they perceive a positive impact on their lives in such areas as self-esteem, employment, family life, and community involvement. More information may be found on the organization's website: READ Adult Literacy | Ventura County Library (vencolibrary.org)
Ray D. Prueter Library510 Park AvenuePort Hueneme, CA 93041
January 11, 2024
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately one hour per week.