39 people are interested
Incarcerated Youth Tutor (ages 18-25) - Ventura County Probation Juvenile Facilities
ORGANIZATION: Ventura County Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
39 people are interested
Literacy Tutor - Ventura County Probation: Juvenile Facilities
Share the joy of lifelong learning with incarcerated youth (ages 18 to 25) at Ventura County Probation: Juvenile Facilities. Ventura County Library and Ventura County Probation Agency have collaborated to create this tutoring opportunity.
The Juvenile Facilities complex sits on a 45-acre parcel in an unincorporated area of the county near the community of El Rio. It is located at 4333 Vineyard Avenue, Oxnard, CA 93036. Full details can be found at this website: https://venturaprobation.org/facilities/juvenile-facilities/.
The Library’s READ Adult Literacy Program helps adult learners improve reading and writing skills so that they perceive a positive impact on their lives in such areas as self-esteem, employment, family life, and community involvement. Full details about literacy tutoring can be found at this website: https://vencolibrary.org/adult-literacy-read-program.
Responsibilities of the tutor include:
- Work one-on-one with incarcerated youth in a secure and well-supervised space inside the facility to provide mentoring and tutoring according to the individual's specific needs
- Get trained by the Library’s READ program on principles of adult basic education and literacy-topics range from reading/writing skills to college-level courses
- Use materials and supplies provided by the Library and Probation Agency, such as weekly teaching guides and other resources, to support short and long-term educational goals
- Report to the Library’s READ program site supervisor and on-site staff to collect and record data regarding attendance and progress
Required skills of the tutor include:
- Using best practices of teaching in the context of diverse learning differences, disabilities, and/or cultural identities
- Exercise independent judgment to successfully function in a team environment
- Organize and prioritize duties and manage time effectively
- Understand and follow department policies and procedures
- Analyze, track, and complete various reports and relevant/necessary information
Necessary special requirements of the tutor include:
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted (except for corrective lenses) California Driver’s License at and during the time of employment
- Must complete and pass a background check administered by the Probation Agency
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels, volunteers, and community groups
About Ventura County Library
5600 Everglades S., Ste A, Ventura, CA 93003, US
Mission: Ventura County Library: Inspiring our community to explore, discover, and connect. Vision: We are committed to providing the communities we serve with the very best of what libraries can provide in as many ways and as conveniently as possible. Our communities are a vital part of deciding how to create and improve our libraries. We listen for their voices and respond to their ideas. We invite and welcome everyone to engage in lifelong learning with us at VCL.
The goal of Ventura County Library's READ Program is to help adults improve their reading and writing skills so that they perceive a positive impact on their lives in such areas as self-esteem, employment, family life, and community involvement. More information may be found on the organization's website: READ Adult Literacy | Ventura County Library (vencolibrary.org)
4333 East Vineyard AvenueOxnard, CA 93036
January 11, 2024
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately 2 hours per week.