1 person is interested
ORGANIZATION: CLEAR BLUE SEA
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Clear Blue Sea is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in San Diego, CA with a mission to cleanse the oceans of
plastic pollution. Clear Blue Sea’s innovative marine debris removal approach is an unmanned, solar-powered Floating Robot for Eliminating Debris (FRED). Our FRED projects have involved over 100 students to help younger generations experience what it takes to address a global environmental crisis.
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for supporting mechanical engineering development efforts across
the FRED projects. The Mechanical Engineer works with the lead mechanical engineer and system engineer to develop engineering specifications and designs that address user requirements. The Mechanical Engineer
collaborates with other team members on design development and prototype integration, and ensures project activities are completed on schedule and within budget. This is a volunteer position and is unpaid. Credit for coursework or other proof of volunteer activity can be provided as needed. Volunteers should be able to dedicate 5 hours per week minimum.
● Support Mechanical Engineering development of 3 core projects:
o MicroFRED - 1ft vessel used as ROS navigation controller development platform
o ClarityFRED - ~5ft vessel previously developed by USD students, adding sensors and restoring
o S.S. FRED - Next iteration of FRED, modular platform to support swarm operations
● Participate in team meetings as required; provide improvement recommendations
● Use the Agile process and activities as needed.
● Collaborate with external professionals and organizations as needed to coordinate and support
● Seeks recommendations from all stakeholders; Gather and evaluate user feedback
● Develop design concepts, calculations, layouts, assemblies, schematics, and detail drawings
● Review specifications and related documents to ensure the design meets user requirements
● Modifies drawings by analyzing, resolving, and incorporating changes
● Collaborate with Electrical, Software, and Compliance Engineers on the integration and operation of
● Create technical documentation for reference and reporting
● Maintain information collected in our database and update as needed
● Accomplishes engineering and company mission by completing tasks, assignments and projects
on-time and to a high level of quality.
● Use of project management software such as Asana to track status and provide visibility to
Qualifications / Skills:
● Mechanical design and documentation experience
● Mechanical Engineering, Nautical, Aerospace, Mechatronics or similar related degree (in-progress
● Proficient with 2D and 3D Design Software (Solidworks and Autodesk Fusion 360 preferred)
● Ability to look up and understand datasheets, specifications, and related documentation for purchased
components or materials to establish requirements and inform design integration efforts (ex: sensors,
waterproof connectors, camera housings, selecting raw material for custom fabrications)
● Familiarity with Marine Vessel design & operation a plus
● Ability to work in fabrication environment a plus
● Ability to work in an professional team and independently
● Effective communication skills, both oral and written
● Presents him or herself to all stakeholders in a manner in keeping with our values and mission
● Promote a team culture-lead and work as part of a team.
● Exhibit a positive attitude and have ability to handle unscripted situations and helping with startup
tasks not directly related to job function
● Adept at problem solving, analyzing situations, determining next step and implementing.
● Skills in effectively organizing work, files, records, etc., to maintain efficient work flow.
We value the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, age, sex, veteran status, genetic information, disability, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state
or local law.
Apply via our online form https://forms.gle/ GrujPEaRyofQcFk56
Contact Clear Blue Sea with questions: email@example.com
9 More opportunities with CLEAR BLUE SEA1 Review
About CLEAR BLUE SEA
7939 Silverton Ave, SAN DIEGO, CA 92122, US
Clear Blue Sea's mission is to cleanse the oceans of floating plastic pollution by operating fleets of unmanned marine robots powered by renewable energy.
CLEAR BLUE SEA is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in San Diego, CA with a mission to cleanse the oceans of plastic pollution. Clear Blue Sea’s innovative marine debris removal system is an unmanned, solar-powered Floating Robot for Eliminating Debris (FRED). Three small-scale FRED prototypes have been built and tested in Mission Bay and several new FRED projects are currently in work, including a FRED Do-it-Yourself (FREDDY) Instructional Package and the design of a 50-foot FRED to be implemented in Hawaii as a pilot. Our FRED projects have involved over 200 student interns as we are dedicated to training and mentoring younger generations in methods and innovations needed to increase awareness of ocean plastics and solutions for ocean cleanup and conservancy.
7939 Silverton Avenue, Unit 807San Diego, CA 92126
March 16, 2023
- Mechanical Engineering
- Project Management
- Must be at least 18
- 5 hours per week