AmeriCorps VISTA: Summer Associate - 2023
ORGANIZATION: Mighty Writers-El Futuro Kennett
Please visit the new page to apply.
AmeriCorps VISTA: Summer Associate - 2023
K-12 Success and Food Access
Paid, 25-30 hours/week
Sponsor: Partners for Campus-Community Engagement (PCCE)
- Mighty Writers North, 2300 Master St., Phila., PA 19121
- Mighty Writers West, 3520 Fairmount Ave., Phila., PA 19104
- Mighty Writers El Futuro, 1025 S. Ninth St., Phila., PA 19147
- Mighty Writers Germantown, 12 Church Lane, Phila., PA 19144
- Mighty Writers El Futuro Kennett, 121 Willow St., Toughkenamon, PA 19374
Apply here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=110764
Applications due April 30, 2023
About: Mighty Writers (MW) teaches kids 3-17 to think clearly and write with clarity so they can achieve success at school, at work and in life.
At our sites in Philadelphia, Chester County and New Jersey, and through virtual programming and partnerships with schools and community organizations, we focus on amplifying and empowering the voices of our students while providing free high-quality, community-oriented writing programs. As a result, grades improve, self-esteem soars and futures come into view.
Our approach is focused on the whole child. That’s why we also provide food and essential resources at many of our sites. After all, kids can’t think and write when they’re hungry. Now, in addition to our after-school, out-of-school and summer writing programs, we offer daily distribution of diapers, period products, books, clothing, school supplies and groceries - all given away for free.
Given the challenges our students face, we utilize mindfulness and Social-Emotional Learning to teach kids to be emotionally resilient, cultivate their inner strength and foster their overall sense of well-being. Mighty Writers develops unique and enriching communities; champions the stories of diverse youth writers; and drives each student to reach their maximum potential.
We are seeking 12 Vista Associates who will support program development, organization-wide processes and assist with our education and distribution efforts.
Service duration: 10 weeks, May 22-July 30
- Help recruit students from the neighborhood and work as a summer camp teaching assistant
- Prep daily programs and communicate with parents
- Work with staff to evaluate programs and plan for future summers
- Receive shipments of food, books, diapers and other items for distribution; restock and organize shelves
- Improve food security for area residents by increasing attendance at distribution
- Survey families to determine needs and help implement a plan to meet those needs in partnership with other organizations
- Support business processes and learn the inner workings of nonprofit management and programming at Mighty Writers (including development, operations, HR and other departments)
- Design and/or disburse programming materials and recruitment materials
- Data collection, entry, management and analysis
- Participate in meetings with MW staff, neighborhood and other local organizations
- Strong communicator
- Friendly and outgoing
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Reading, writing, speaking and listening skills
- Strong organizational, time management and computer skills
- Interest, enthusiasm and affinity for working with youth
- Aged 18+ (as of 5/21/23)
- High school diploma
- COVID-19 vaccination (religious/medical exemptions available)
- Conversational Spanish ability (for placement at MW El Futuro or El Futuro Kennett)
Program provides: Education award upon successful completion of service, living allowance/stipend, training, transit pass, work experience
Want more information?
This introductory webinar gives an overview of the AmeriCorps VISTA: Summer Associate program, how to apply and the benefits members receive during and after service. Interested applicants should registerhere.
March 15, 2 p.m.
March 29, 2 p.m.
April 12, 2 p.m.
April 26, 2 p.m.
Kenya Gayles (she/her)
Director of Volunteers
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Mighty Writers provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mighty Writers complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
1 More opportunity with Mighty Writers-El Futuro Kennett
About Mighty Writers-El Futuro Kennett
101 Willow Street, Toughkenamon, PA 19374, US
Think clearly and write with clarity is our battle cry, our tagline, our mantra. It's served as our mission statement since our launch in 2009. Not everyone--as is so strikingly apparent of late--thinks clearly. And even fewer people express themselves with clarity. But for those who nail both clarity of thought and expression, a lifetime of Mightiness is available for the taking. We're believers in the power of writing. But when Covid began to strangle our Mighty communities, our mission suddenly needed amending. You can't think or write with clarity if you're hungry. We then launched our Lunch & Literacy program and it is still going strong.
Mighty Writers is a class 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 2009. One hundred percent of the programs we offer are free. We serve communities in and around Philadelphia, PA, as well as in Camden, Newark and Atlantic City, NJ. We also run writing workshops in Washington Heights, NYC.
101 Willow StreetToughkenamon, PA 19374
March 15, 2023
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Youth Services
- Administrative Support
- Child Development