Teaching Fellow (AmeriCorps Position)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps--Tri-State Area
Notre Dame Mission Volunteers, AmeriCorps (NDMVA) is seeking applicants to serve as a Full-time AmeriCorps Member at Covenant Preparatory School in Hartford, CT from September 2023-July 2024.
Covenant Preparatory School provides young men in grades 5 through 8 from underserved communities in Hartford, the foundation required to successfully pursue higher education, to develop the strength of their character, and to inspire them to live with integrity as leaders committed to their communities. More information about the school can be found on our website: www.covenantprep.org.
AmeriCorps Teaching Fellows are asked to commit to a one-to-two year fellowship intended to develop their knowledge and skills as an educator. As a member of the NativityMiguel Coalition, Covenant Prep is on an extended day program, running from approximately 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM and includes a Summer Academy in the month of July. Applicants should be committed to a challenging and rewarding service position.
AmeriCorps Teaching Fellows play an integral part in the life of the school, work as full-time teachers, and receive training and support from the Principal and mentor teachers. In addition to classroom teaching responsibilities, Fellows participate in the school’s advisory, athletics/activities, and service programs.
- Co-teach approximately three student groups
- Serve as an advisor to small group of students
- Supervise school-day activities (~2 periods per day, Monday-Friday)
- Supervise/coach afternoon activities from 4:00-5:15 p.m. (Monday-Friday)
- Coordinate other school programs as assigned by the principal
- Obtain necessary endorsement to drive school vans
- Participate in Summer Academy in July
Covenant Prep. Provided Benefits
- Free housing in a school-managed townhouse with other AmeriCorps teaching fellows.
- Stipend of $600 per month in first year and $800 per month in second year, subject to taxes.
- $125 meal stipend per month.
- School-provided health, vision, and dental insurance, if needed.
- Discounted graduate school tuition at University of St. Joseph’s.
Qualifications and Attitude
- A bachelor’s degree (all majors welcome, teaching certificate not required).
- Experience working with youth, middle school grades preferred.
- A firm commitment to social justice and Covenant Prep’s mission.
- Generosity of spirit, exceptional work ethic, flexibility, and a willingness to consistently learn.
- U.S. Citizen and Legal Permanent Resident
Covenant Preparatory School is strongly committed to equal opportunity for all its employees and actively seeks diverse candidates for employment. Covenant Prep does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identification, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AmeriCorps Member Benefits:
- Site provides subsidized housing
- The Education Award: Upon completion of a service term, AmeriCorps members receive a taxable education award of $6,895. The education award can be applied to qualified student loans or future education.
- Student Loan Forbearance: Members of NDA are eligible for forbearance of federal student loans during their term of service. This means that while a member is serving, he or she does not make payments on his or her qualifying loans. In addition, the National Trust will pay the interest that accrues on the loan at the end of the term of service. For more information please visit Postponing Student Loan Payments and Getting Interest Paid
- Optional Health Insurance: We provide optional healthcare while you serve with NDA.
- Child Care: NDA members may also be eligible for child care benefits. The AmeriCorps Child Care Program covers up to the state’s local market rate for child care fees and makes payments directly to the member’s caregiver.
This site is an Education Award Partner rather than a Full-Benefit partner. This means that the site provides the living allowance to members, which may be different then the living allowance provided directly by NDMV.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
474 Woodland StreetHartford, CT 06112
May 26, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME