Wildlife Rehabilitation Externship
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: The Wildlife Center of Virginia
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Wildlife Center of Virginia is a non-profit teaching and referral hospital for native wildlife. Our mission and passion is to teach the world to care about and to care for wildlife and the environment. Founded in 1982, the Wildlife Center has provided care for more than 90,000 sick, injured, and orphaned wild animals representing over 200 species. Our goal is to release patients back into their natural habitats. At any time, there may be from 80 to 250 animals on the premises. This externship provides an in-depth, hands-on experience in the field of wildlife rehabilitation. Lengths of externships are flexible (minimum 4 weeks), but 12-week externships, culminating in 500 hours of experience, are preferred. Externs will learn about wildlife husbandry, nutrition, hand-feeding techniques for a variety of orphaned species, capture and restraint methods, wildlife laws, and release criteria. Externs are trained and supervised by certified, permitted Wildlife Rehabilitators.
- Maintaining constant awareness of all animals’ health and behavior and reporting any changes to staff
- Identification of local mammal, bird, and reptile species
- Monitoring progress of patients, recording weights and food intake, and maintaining proper environment
- Daily exercise of raptor patients
- Assisting with capture and restraint of patients
- Hand-feeding orphaned mammals and birds as needed
- Daily feeding, watering, cleaning, hosing and scrubbing out pens of all animals housed in indoor and outdoor enclosures
- General cleaning including sweeping/mopping floors, washing dishes, disinfecting counters/sinks
- Reporting maintenance and/or safety hazards to the rehabilitation staff and correcting hazards if possible
- Lifting and hauling items up to 40 lbs, including trash and recycling
- Assisting with organizational, landscaping, or construction projects, as needed
- Assisting staff with errands such as raptor food runs, supply pick-up, etc. (vehicle provided)
- Maintaining high energy levels throughout a long workday
- Additional duties as requested
- Completing a project related to wildlife rehabilitation prior to completion of externship
- Cross-training with our veterinary staff, either one day per month or one day per week (see schedule below)
SCHEDULE AND HOURS: Externs will be scheduled to work either (dependent on extern preference):
-Four days a week with three consecutive days off; one vet day per month
-Five days a week with two consecutive days off; one vet day per week
A typical day consists of working 10-12 hours, depending on the time of year. Weekend work is required. Schedules are subject to change, though typically remain consistent throughout externship.
SALARY: None. Off-site housing is provided; $75 security deposit required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be a self-motivated individual with a sincere interest in working with wildlife and the ability to enthusiastically work long hours. Attention to detail, punctuality, initiative, and a strong desire to learn are required. At least two years of college with related degree or equivalent prior animal experience. Ability to lift 40 pounds. Pre-exposure rabies vaccination is strongly preferred and series must be completed prior to start date. COVID-19 vaccination is required.
LENGTH: 4-12 weeks. Preferable 12-week commitment for a minimum of 500 hours. Positions are offered year round.
TO APPLY: Complete applications have five components:
· A completed Rehabilitation Externship Application Form
· A résumé
· A cover letter
· COVID-19 Risk Assessment form
· Proof of complete COVID-19 vaccination, including at least one booster
The required documents can be attached to the online application form.
For your application to be considered complete, you must contact Lauren Swinson at the following email address to indicate that you have submitted your application: email@example.com
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8531 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1800 S. Delphine AveWaynesboro, VA 22980
March 10, 2023