Member of the Board of Directors
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Northern Virginia Conservation Trust
NVCT is seeking new Board Members
NVCT is seeking dynamic, engaged board members interested in helping to lead an influential and growing land conservation organization saving nearby nature across Northern Virginia. Since our founding in 1994, we have protected more than 8,000 acres in urban and rural places in our service area of more than three million residents. In 2008, NVCT became the first Virginia land trust to be accredited by the Land Trust Accreditation Commission, which provides independent verification that land trusts meet the high standards for land conservation, stewardship, and nonprofit management.
Our mission needs you
NVCT’s mission is to conserve land that has natural, historical, and cultural value to our communities. Land conservation, in turn, produces many downstream benefits for our communities, such as cleaner air and water, increased recreation opportunities, and helping to mitigate the impacts of climate change.
The role of our Board Members
The NVCT Board leads the work of NVCT and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by NVCT’s Executive Director (ED) and 9-person staff team, the Board-staff relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
As a Board Member, your responsibilities would include:
● Actively participating in managing the business, property, and activities of the organization, working closely with the Executive Director and staff.
● Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by NVCT for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
● Approving NVCT’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
● Participating in an annual performance evaluation of the ED.
● Assisting the ED, the Board Development and Nominating Committee, and the Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members.
● Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out.
● Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments as needed.
● Representing NVCT to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
● Ensuring NVCT’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities NVCT serves.
How Board Members support NVCT financially
Our organization has more impact when we are financially strong. NVCT Board Members help achieve financial sustainability through both direct and indirect funding efforts. We ask that all Board Members consider NVCT a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority, commensurate with their capacity. When we have 100 percent of Board Members as active funders, it enables NVCT to more credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals. Board Members additionally serve as ambassadors for NVCT by aiding in solicitations of funds from companies, foundations and individuals.
Board Member terms and time commitments
NVCT’s Board Members serve a three-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms. Board meetings are held every other month on a weekday evening and committee meetings are held in coordination with full board meetings. Board meetings are scheduled for approximately two-hour time periods.
The qualities that would make you an excellent candidate
First and foremost, we are looking for Board Members who are passionate about NVCT’s mission and energized about contributing their time and experience. Selected Board Members will be community leaders in business, law, government, real estate, philanthropy, local organizing, or the nonprofit sector. Their accomplishments will allow them to provide expertise to NVCT’s work in a variety of important ways.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
● Professional experience with demonstrated leadership in business, law, government, real estate, philanthropy, local organizing, or the nonprofit sector.
● A commitment to and understanding of Northern Virginia’s diverse communities and the role that parks, natural areas, and our environment have on our region.
● Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the communities that NVCT serves.
● Local expertise in one of the cities and counties that NVCT serves; our highest needs are currently in Loudoun County, Prince William County, and Stafford County.
Would you like to join us?
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7, 2023. Board Members are selected through an interview and nomination process led by the Board Development and Nominating Committee. A Board Member or staff member will contact you after we have reviewed your resume.
Service on NVCT’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
We Are Committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility
Just as biodiversity is the key to a thriving ecosystem, human diversity is the key to protecting Northern Virginia. Success depends on people from diverse backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, identities, and races taking action collectively. Clean water, air, and a safe environment are our shared rights as human beings, and increasing diversity is our duty as an organization.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8447 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
4022 Hummer RoadAnnandale, VA 22003
March 10, 2023
- Public Advocacy
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH