DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
- COPY - Herndon-Reston FISH Emergency Assistance Volunteers Needed
ORGANIZATION: Herndon-Reston FISH, Inc.
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Neighbors helping neighbors! Herndon-Reston FISH (HRFISH) has provided local residents with Friendly Instant Sympathetic Help for 53 years. We are dedicated to helping local residents in short-term crises. HRFISH responds to requests for rent, utilities, medical prescriptions and other short-term emergency needs. We work closely with social workers from Fairfax County, local schools, religious institutions, and other nonprofit organizations. Assistance Volunteers review and evaluate the referrals for financial assistance and make funding recommendations to the Emergency Assistance Manager.
Description of responsibilities:
- Review referrals for Herndon-Reston FISH financial assistance
- Provide administrative support as needed for case follow-up
- Complete an application form and a confidentiality agreement
- Complete a 3-hour training session
- Be available to work 1 or 2 weekdays (Monday-Friday) per month from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Have use of a computer, internet access, and phone
- Follow HRFISH Emergency Assistance Program guidelines
Possible Training DATES and TIMES x ZOOM (let us know your preference(s):
10:30 AM to 03:30 PM
Work 1 or 2 days a month. Shifts are M-F, except holidays. Work from home/other remote location & use of computer & phone. 3-hour training req'd
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
1 More opportunity with Herndon-Reston FISH, Inc.
About Herndon-Reston FISH, Inc.
Herndon-Reston FISH, 1141 Elden St, Suite 200, Herndon, VA, VA 20170, US
The mission of Herndon-Reston FISH (HRFISH) is to help Herndon and Reston residents cope with short-term financial crises by providing Friendly Instant Sympathetic Help. We help stabilize lives by preventing an eviction, keeping utilities from being turned off, and helping to finance immediate medical and other critical needs.
Founded in 1969, Herndon-Reston FISH, Inc. is a nonsectarian, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization providing Friendly Instant Sympathetic Help to Herndon and Reston residents in short-term financial crises. A small staff and many talented, enthusiastic volunteers perform our work. As a member of the Connections for Hope Partnership, HRFISH works closely with social workers from Fairfax County, local hospitals, and other nonprofit organizations.
1. In addition to the Emergency Assistance program, HRFISH operates The Bargain Loft - a thrift store providing affordable shopping to the community. The store opened in 1981. Net store proceeds are used to support HRFISH assistance programs. Immediately after Thanksgiving, the Bargain Loft is transformed into a Holiday Shop with festive decor and unique gifts.
2. During the year-end holiday season, FISH provides non-perishable food and gifts to hundreds of local people in need.
3. From May through November, HRFISH supports healthy nutrition by matching SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) benefits at the Herndon Farmers Market. Matching funds enable qualifying clients to purchase twice as much fresh produce.
4. Each year, HRFISH hosts a major fundraising called FISH Fling. This event raises funds for our emergency assistance program.
Have achieved GuideStar's highest level - Platinum - in 2021
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
March 9, 2023
- Administrative Support
- Data Entry
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 5-hour shift 1-2 times each month
- Have use of a computer, internet access, and phone.