Volunteer Event Assistant
ORGANIZATION: Mercer Island Natural Resources Department
Please visit the new page to apply.
Event assistants help out either Volunteer Coordinator or Forest Stewards with day-of event tasks, from event set-up and break down, volunteer registration forms, taking photos during event, and leading volunteers in restoration tasks. Restoration tasks will include removing weeds, planting, spreading mulch and gravel, watering, and some trail work among others.
Note: Volunteer assistants are not expected to spend event time actively doing restoration, but rather guiding attendees by offering help and giving advice on best practices.
- Attend orientation
- Attend various volunteer events at different parks around Mercer Island (events held once a week, alternating Saturdays, and Wednesday/Thursdays)
- Attend optional trainings (These trainings will be led and designed by a combination of Volunteer Coordinator, Forest Stewards, and Volunteer Event Assistants, and can reflect things you’re interested in learning about.)
- Manage volunteer sign-ins and waivers
- Help with unloading tools and set-up of volunteer table
- Assist with break-down of volunteer table and loading tools
- Give demonstrations for proper tool use and restoration techniques
- Answer volunteer questions
- Take photos of participants throughout event
- 3-hour orientation before starting position
- Additional optional trainings occur throughout the year and run about 2-3 hours.
- Events typically run 2-3 hours, we ask Volunteer Event Assistants to arrive a half hour before start time, and stay between 15-30 minutes after the end of the event
- Ideally Volunteer Event Assistants can commit to attending a minimum of 3 events throughout the year.
2 More opportunities with Mercer Island Natural Resources Department
About Mercer Island Natural Resources Department
2040 84th Ave SE, Mercer Island, WA 98040, US
The mission of the City of Mercer Island Parks and Recreation Department Volunteer Program is to actively promote a mutually rewarding relationship between volunteers who offer their talents, skills and time and staff who will support them in their efforts to cooperatively foster stewardship of our community’s parks, natural areas, and recreation and social programs.
Mercer Island is best served by the active participation of its citizens in all aspects of community life. Through involvement in civic, environmental and special event activities, as well as recreation, our citizens of all ages learn more about their City while forming strong bonds with one another. To this end, the City of Mercer Island Parks and Recreation Department accepts and encourages the involvement of volunteers within all appropriate programs and activities. All staff members, as well as others in leadership roles are encouraged to assist in the creation of meaningful and productive roles for volunteers.
2040 84th Avenue SoutheastMercer Island, WA 98040
March 8, 2023
- Habitat Restoration
- Environmental Education
- Community Outreach
- Outdoor Recreation
- People 55+