2 people are interested
Become a Volunteer Medical Screener with the American Red Cross!
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
Blood Services - Binghamton District: Volunteer Medical Screener
This position supports the Regional Biomedical Services department. This opportunity requires participation in in-person activities and/or performing work in a Red Cross facility. Provide support to blood collection operation by performing regulated medical screening of potential blood donors.
Broome County, Chenango County, Tioga CountyKey Responsibilities
- Collect and confirm donor demographics
- Determine procedure eligibility
- Conduct physical exam, to include oral temperature, pulse, BP and hematocrit by accepted process
- Facilitate and evaluate health history (typically self-administered by donor)
- Comply with applicable Federal, State and local regulations as well as all American Red Cross policies, procedures and guidelines
- Attend relevant meetings, skill competency assessments, and updates
- Being punctual and dependable for all assignments
- Willingness to comply with Red Cross COVID-19 policies.
- Willingness to carry vaccination card to work assignments.
- Willingness to support Red Cross Mission
- Must be age 18 or older and hold a HS diploma or equivalent
- Ability to use and understand technology needed for position
- Customer service experience, effective verbal communication, and public relations skills are required
- Must be able to follow Standard Operating Procedure instructions and training
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore, the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an exposure determination: 1 in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks.
Minimum of two shifts per month; approximately 120 hours of training **This training consists of a daily training schedule of about 3 weeks @ 120 hours. Must be able to commit and complete the trainings as scheduled**
- Gain valuable training/experience while providing an invaluable service to your community
- Use and validate your training and skills at a nationally recognized organization
- Ability to become a volunteer leader
- Establish professional references
- Establish a record of excellence to ensure donor and patient safety (also in case a paid staff opportunities become available)
6 months minimum, one year preferredRelationships
Reports to Team Supervisor or Charge Staff, partners with Collections Team and Volunteer Engagement Team
- Virtual, classroom and on-the-job instruction.
- Classroom training is conducted during traditional business hours. Includes:
- 15-hour national orientation to the American Red Cross and Self-Paced Computer based Training plus 8-24 hours of local orientation
- 56 hours virtual training
- On the Job Training hours will vary depending on blood drives
- 48 hours OJT
123 More opportunities with American Red Cross1 Review
About American Red Cross
620 E Main St, Endicott, NY 13760, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
620 East Main StreetEndicott, NY 13760
March 6, 2023
- Data Entry
- Patient Care
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training