Michigan Program Coordinator
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: National Volunteer Caregiving Network
MICHIGAN-BASED, REMOTE CONTRACT ASSIGNMENT
(One or two positions from 10 to 15 hours per week, starting at $15/hour for two years)
Serve at the right hand of NVCN's Executive Director in helping to coordinate the MHEF project for the State of Michigan. Coordinators will be working with some of Michigan's leading healthcare professionals and experts.
The National Volunteer Caregiving Network is proud to be collaborating on a $150,000 awarded by the Michigan Health Endowment Fund to Hospice of the Eastern Upper Peninsula to triple volunteer caregivers serving Michigan seniors.
The project, entitled "Test Run: Tripling Volunteer Caregivers for Michigan Seniors," provides funding for six traditional volunteer caregiving programs to develop a network of volunteer caregivers to combat isolation and help homebound individuals maintain their independence to age in place.
An application process will begin sometime in the first quarter of 2023 for volunteer caregiving programs throughout the state of Michigan. "The Volunteer Caregiving mission was launched nearly 40 years ago to bridge the gap for older homebound individuals and people with disabilities who need a help with every day tasks," said Steering committee co-chair and NVCN Trustee Dr. James Firman, retired director of the National Council on Aging. "The beauty is that any lay person can lend a hand. We’ll be looking for a few good volunteers who can help with grocery shopping, errands, rides and companionship-to help people age in place."
Over the next two years, the National Volunteer Caregiving Network will lead Michigan in developing outreach programs to the corporate and faith-based communities with the goal of tripling the number of individuals serving the volunteer caregiving mission. NVCN Ambassadors Tracey Holt and Karyn Curro, who both direct local programs, will be championing the effort for the state. "As Volunteer Caregiving approaches its 40th anniversary in 2024, Hospice of the EUP is proud to be supporting the State and the Nation in advancing our mission," said Tracey Holt, Hospice of the EUP Director and Michigan State Ambassador for NVCN. "More than 10,000 people are turning 65 every day which makes volunteer caregiving critical to the future success of our most vulnerable aging communities."
NVCN inherited a 38-year old, nationwide network of approximately 1,000 volunteer caregiving programs that currently engage 350,000 volunteers in serving 500,000 people each year. As the national movement approaches the 40th anniversary of Volunteer Caregiving, Michigan leads the way in committing to a bold new national goal: To triple the number of volunteers serving vulnerable people as well as their caregivers to more than 1,000,000 and the number of people served to more than 1,500,000 over the next five years.
The Michigan Health Endowment Fund works to improve the health and wellness of Michigan residents and reduce the cost of healthcare, with a special focus on children and seniors.
For more information, contact Tammy Glenn, email@example.com
About the Coordinator(s)
1. The coordinators’ responsibilities would supplement the local program staff as well as the NVCN state ambassadors by serving as liaisons for the MHEF project.
2.Coordinate invitations to and present applications for all Michigan programs to the Statewide Steering Committee
3. Convene meetings of the six test programs and coordinate participation to the Statewide Steering Committee and Task Force 40
4. Analyze and solicit untapped corporate support and advise on the development of local faith-based outreach. A conglomerate of volunteer caregiving organizations would be in a stronger position to cultivate major gifts from Michigan-based employers such as Ford, Whirlpool and Kellogg’s.
5. The coordinators would be responsible for supporting the cultivation and solicitation of major corporate gifts that include employee time to volunteer, marketing sponsorships and philanthropic support to lift the entire volunteer caregiving movement in Michigan.
Furthermore, a strategic approach would be mutually beneficial by leveraging corporate resources to support more than one volunteer caregiving organization, and utilizing volunteer resources to support employees who are sandwiched between childcare, job performance and care for aging family members.
6. Supervise the implementation of Task Force 40 initiatives
7. Prepare progress reports and updates for the Statewide Steering Committee, Task Force 40 and NVCN Board of Trustees
8. Support the Ambassadors in building a sustainable network of program directors who meet regularly by zoom or in person to share best practices on day-to-day operations
9. Convene the volunteer caregiver focus groups
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8447 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1765 Goodyear AvenueSuite 204Ventura, CA 93003
February 26, 2023
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME