Change a Life. Change Your Life. Become a Mentor!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring
COVID -19 UPDATE:COVID -19 UPDATE:THE SAFETY AND HEALTH OF ALL OUR VOLUNTEERS AND FAMILIES IS OUR MAIN PRIORITY SO WE REQUIRING ALL FAMILIES AND VOLUNTEERS TO BE FULLY VACCINATED*
Hundreds of families seek mentoring services through Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring each year - we can’t serve them without volunteers like you!
Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring is...
Founded in 1902, Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring strives to transform the lives of children through one-to-one mentoring, while strengthening entire families in hardship.
In Bigs & Littles NYC’s keystone mentoring program, youth ages 7-19 (enrollment till age 17), are carefully matched with a Big Sister or Big Brother who serves as adviser, role model, and adult friend. Mentoring matches meet twice monthly for activities such as enjoying a show or ballgame, working together on a service project, or spending time talking and exploring NYC Matches are supported by a dedicated Professional Program Manager to oversee and guide the match relationship offering referrals and additional resources as needed. Our holistic approach to mentoring consists of working closely with the entire family ensuring better outcomes. We know the program works: 100% of our kids avoid pregnancy, 100% avoid arrest, 95% are promoted to the next grade, 100% graduate High School and 100% matriculate into college or a training program.
A Match is...
- The relationship between a Big (volunteer mentor) and a Little (mentee)
- Bigs serve as positive role models and friends who help Littles set and accomplish goals
- Bigs and Littles plan and participate in fun activities together which form a lasting impact for both individuals
- Supported by a Match Coordinator (Masters level social worker or equivalent) at the agency
Bigs are ...
- 21 years old or older
- Interested in mentoring a Little of the same gender, age 7-17, who lives in the five boroughs
- Willing and able to finance match outings (low or no-cost outings are highly encouraged)
- Willing to pick up / drop off Little for outings if the Little doesn’t travel independently
- From all walks of life! Men, people of color, volunteers ages 50+, individuals of all faith backgrounds, and Spanish speakers highly encouraged to apply
Big and Little matches connect...
- Over time: Bigs and Littles each commit to the match relationship for at least one year
- Face-to-face: twice per month for about eight total hours (usually on the weekends)
- Over the phone: once weekly to catch up
- To learn skills: workshops are offered throughout the year at the Bigs & Littles NYC office for hands-on match support and skill-building
Interested? Contact us...
- On the internet: BigsLittlesNYC/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x211
- On social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Check out our agency Video --> https://vimeo.com/332679108
Mentoring not a good fit right now? Get in touch to learn how you can support us with volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, and other engagement opportunities at Bigs & Littles NYC.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8434 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
137 East 2nd Street2nd FlNew York, NY 10009
February 23, 2023