Education Development Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Li Chu'tam
Volunteers needed for 2023!
LICHUTAM is an international development organization based in El Valle del Polochic-Guatemala. The Polochic Valley is one of the most disadvantaged areas in Guatemala, where education is still a privilege only a few can afford. Most rural communities in the region are affected by low income, high levels of poverty, and low access to basic service such as health, electricity, and water. Since 2009 we have been working to promote sustainable development in indigenous Maya communities through innovative solutions with the aim to improve education and the livelihoods of local inhabitants.
Currently our projects serve over 1,700 families in multiple Maya Q’eqchi speaking communities, focusing on the following key projects:
- Organize extracurricular activities such as computer classes, arts, crafts, mind-training games, and sports for children
- Scholarship Program to provide support for students in secondary and high school
- Family/Community Projects such as kitchen gardens, teaching planting/harvesting techniques, providing technical agricultural support
We are a small and young organization, a group of eager and practical people who want to make a difference in the world.
Currently, we are looking for volunteers to join our team and carry out the projects listed above in the field. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone who has interest in international development, enjoys working in a rural environment, and has excellent intercultural communication skills.
Since we have a continuous turnover of volunteers, your start date is flexible for us. We can usually accept last minute volunteers (pending vacancy at our volunteer lodge) but are also happy to schedule volunteers to join us weeks or months in advance. While we feel volunteers are able to build better connections with the community the longer they stay, we are also flexible on how long you are able to volunteer with us.
- Ability to engage for 3, 6, or 12+ months’ period in the field (Negotiable)
- Fluency in Spanish and English - both written and spoken (REQUIRED - due to the remote nature of our project you will need Spanish to interact with the community on a daily basis)
- Currently enrolled or graduate of an undergraduate degree in education, international relations, Spanish language, computer science, or similar field
- Ability to work collaboratively as a part of an international, multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and team, utilizing strong intercultural communication skills, but also take responsibility and initiatives independently
- Proactive and able to self-manage
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to the challenges of living in a rural environment and a tropical climate
- Experience working with children
- Running activities of the local projects on a daily basis
- Taking initiatives to design educational programs and activities
- Developing a trustful relationship with the community
- Reporting periodically to other Li Ch’utam team members
- Liaising with external organizations (governmental and other NGOs) in a professional capacity
What we offer
- To cover all living (accommodation and food) and work related transportation expenses; housing is provided in a modern volunteer lodge` with maximum 3 other volunteers *
- Internet connection
- A unique opportunity to gain work experience in a cross-cultural environment and to work with indigenous Q'eqchi Mayan families in the heart of Guatemala
- Ability to improve your language skills through complete immersion
- Ability to learn about forward thinking development projects and take an active role in planning and implementing them
- A recommendation letter upon successful completion of the assignment
Joining our volunteer team is a challenging opportunity that suits highly motivated people interested in pursuing a career within international development and who want to make a visible difference in the lives of others.
` Volunteer lodge is home to 3 large, but very kind dogs
* Unfortunately we cannot offer a salary, health insurance, or compensation for flights to and from Guatemala.
Li Ch'utam follows the Guatemalan government's guidelines regarding COVID measures. It is the responsibility of each applicant to assume risk of COVID exposure and any related health care costs. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure travel is approved between their country and Guatemala. We encourage applicants to review the number of COVID cases in Alta Verapaz/Panzos municipality and Guatemala's current COVID guidelines in addition to consulting your own country's information.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8423 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Nueva Mercedes, NH 22767Guatemala
February 22, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME