1 person is interested
Tech Pals Coordinator
ORGANIZATION: Lighthouse Guild
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Tech Pals is a program where young adult mentors with vision loss teach older adults who also have vision loss how to use their mobile devices. The program operates on Saturday's. Five mentors each work with two seniors during the day between the hours of 10:30 am and 2:00 pm. The volunteer will work closely with the Project Manager who supervises the program. In addition to Saturday's, the volunteer will be responsible for scheduling seniors during the week which will be in the office or remote at the discretions of the director.
Principle duties and responsibilities:
- With referral forms that will be provided, contact seniors to schedule appointments.
- Engage seniors and solicit information from them including troubles they are having with their mobile devices.
- When speaking with new referrals, complete the Assessment Form which specifies the training being requested and how vision loss affects the person's ability to use their mobile devices.
- Appointments are scheduled at 10:30 am and 12:00 pm (Eight to ten appointments each Saturday). Seniors can come back for as many training sessions as needed until goals are achieved.
- Input appointments on provided spreadsheet with notes on training needed.
- Email appointment schedule to the Project Manager by Thursday each week.
- Greet seniors upon arrival, escort them to the technology center and ensure their comfort.
- For first time appointments, review the program guidelines form and obtain signature.
- Review and request signature on media release form.
- Provide assistance with orientation to rest rooms.
- Assist as needed with directing seniors to training rooms.
- Act as a support to the Project Manager.
- At the conclusion of training assist seniors with returning to the lobby and provide assistance with boarding transportation as necessary.
- Prior experience working with seniors with or without vision loss (preferred)
- Education or experience in human services (or customer services preferred)
- Patient with good listening skills (necessary)
- Upbeat and welcoming (necessary)
- Detail oriented (necessary)
- Basic computer skills with ability to enter information and email clients (necessary)
- Ability to problem solve (necessary)
Details of the Opportunity:
The person in this position will work closely with the Director of Rehabilitation and the Project Manager. Flexibility during the week will be needed until appointments are confirmed. Cancellations and last-minute scheduling is needed at times.
Orientation and mobility training on sighted guide will be provided by the Rehabilitation Department Director and the Project Manager.
This opportunity will require 10 - 12 hours a week. The volunteers will schedule Saturday appointments during the week. The volunteer will be needed on-site from 9:30 am - 2:30 pm each Program Saturday. The program does not meet on long holiday weekends.
To participate in this opportunity, forward a copy of your resume, to the Volunteer Resources Department via e-mail at email@example.com. For any questions, call 646-874-8688.
8 More opportunities with Lighthouse Guild
About Lighthouse Guild
250 West 64th Street, New York, NY 10023, US
Lighthouse Guild is the leading not-for-profit healthcare organization dedicated to addressing and preventing vision loss through coordinated vision and health services. With Lighthouse Guild, people who are at risk for, or affected by vision loss have access to all the resources necessary to lead full, independent and productive lives. We provide services, research and education, and advocate to help people with low vision and blindness.
Lighthouse Guild was officially formed in December 2013 when Jewish Guild Healthcare and Lighthouse International merged, to become the leading not-for-profit vision + healthcare organization. Drawing on more than 200 years of combined service, with histories dating back to 1914 and 1905, respectively, Lighthouse Guild’s experience is unmatched.
250 West 64th StreetNew York, NY 10023
February 21, 2023
- Adult Education