5 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: Lighthouse Guild
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
SUMMARY: The Adult Day Health Care Program (GuildCare) provides healthcare and recreation for multicultural seniors with vision loss as well as chronic medical conditions. Animal-Assisted team(s) are needed to share visiting animals in a way that promotes healing and improves the quality of life clients in our Adult Day Health Care Program. Animals of interest include parrots, cats, a good-size dog, or a large lizard.
LOCATION: 250 West 64 th Street, New York 10023
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the program director or designee the Animal-Assisted Activities Volunteer will:
- Interact with clients and staff and staff while continuously interpreting situations to gauge the appropriateness of their pet’s participation and interaction.
- Carefully monitor and manage the pet’s participation/interaction to ensure the safety and well-being of both humans and animals.
- Encourage people to talk and share their feelings and experiences while interacting with the animal and promoting a human/companion animal bond.
- Ability to control animal through verbal commands and/or hand signals and to physically restrain.
- Ability and willingness to deal tactfully, courteously, and patiently with a diverse target audience.
- Must enjoy interacting with individuals who may be elderly; disabled; physically and/or mentally ill or impaired; and/or socially disadvantaged.
- Must be able to interpret animal’s behavior, disposition, and warning signals.
- Registration as a pet partner team required.
DETAILS OF SERVICE OPPORTUNITY:This is an ongoing opportunity that begins upon approval by staff members. Candidates must be available Monday-Saturday from 9:00am -3:00pm, at least but not limited to one hour per week, plus any time required for planning and preparation. A health form and proof of immunizations must be completed by physician. All candidates must be tested for TB prior to volunteering.All candidates must also be fully vaccinated and wear a mask while on the premises. The attire during this position is business casual.
To express your interest in this opportunity, submit a resume to email@example.com. Please include the days and hours you are available to serve. Direct all questions to The Stephen T. Pearlman Volunteer Center at (646) 874-8688.
8 More opportunities with Lighthouse Guild
About Lighthouse Guild
250 West 64th Street, New York, NY 10023, US
Lighthouse Guild is the leading not-for-profit healthcare organization dedicated to addressing and preventing vision loss through coordinated vision and health services. With Lighthouse Guild, people who are at risk for, or affected by vision loss have access to all the resources necessary to lead full, independent and productive lives. We provide services, research and education, and advocate to help people with low vision and blindness.
Lighthouse Guild was officially formed in December 2013 when Jewish Guild Healthcare and Lighthouse International merged, to become the leading not-for-profit vision + healthcare organization. Drawing on more than 200 years of combined service, with histories dating back to 1914 and 1905, respectively, Lighthouse Guild’s experience is unmatched.
250 West 64th StreetNew York, NY 10023
February 21, 2023
- Animal Care / Handling