- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Disaster Action Team Member - McClain County
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross Serving Kansas and Oklahoma
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
We need Disaster Action Team Members throughout South Central Southeast Oklahoma. Counties are listed below:
Atoka County, Bryan County, Carter County, Choctaw County, Coal County, Garvin County, Haskell County, Hughes County, Jefferson County, Johnston County, Latimer County, Le Flore County, Love County, Marshall County, McCurtain County, McIntosh County, Murray County, Okfuskee County, Pittsburg County, Pontotoc County, Pottawatomie County, Pushmataha County, Seminole County, Stephens County
Description of Position:
The American Red Cross Disaster Action Team provides 24-hour emergency response to local disasters, particularly house fires, ensuring that those affected have access to resources for basic necessities such as food, shelter, and clothing.
Disaster Action Team volunteers help local families cope with emergencies. Home fires and other disasters can occur any time, any place. As a Disaster Action Team volunteer, you'll provide emotional support, financial support, financial assistance, and information to help families begin the process of recovery.
When disaster strikes, Disaster Action Team volunteers are generally dispatched in teams of two to three people. They conduct damage assessments of affected dwellings and determining habitability. Then, they initiate casework to ensure that our clients have shelter, food, and clothing to meet their immediate needs.
* Works as part of an assigned team to respond to local disasters within two hours
* Delivers immediate direct client assistance in accordance with Red Cross standards and procedures
* Works with on-scene lead to assess whether additional resources/support are required and communicates those needs to DAT leadership
* Attends regularly scheduled team/DAT meetings
* Commits to being available during assigned shifts and communicate scheduling conflicts with DAT leadership
* Other responsibilities as assigned by DAT leadership
* Remain current with all your training
* Able to respond reliably when on call
* Ability to learn and use Red Cross systems, including RC Respond and online interfaces
* Ability to work in challenging and stressful conditions such as poor air quality, uneven ground, adverse weather, etc.
* Must have a valid driver's license and/or a timely, reliable way to get to the scene
* Ability to take direction from steady state and operational leadership
* Must be comfortable using a cell phone to complete calls, and a laptop or computer to complete training and access the software necessary to perform this role
* Must have access to reliable telephone and internet access on a regular basis
* Must be willing to interview a family who has been displaced by a disaster-related event
* Stand for two-hour periods
* Sit for two-hour periods
* Walk on uneven terrain
* Walk for two miles during a shift
* Works in extreme head and/or humidity
* Work in extreme heat and/or humidity
* Work in extreme cold
* Spend hours writing
* Speak clearly on the phone and in person
* Climb two or more flights of stairs
* We prefer you complete a minimum of one 4 or 6-hour on-call shift per week (16-20 hours per month) on a reoccurring basis
Approx 8-10 hours of initial online training followed by mentoring and on the job training
* Gives back to others
* Learn new skills
* Gain leadership experience
* Get to know the community
* Meet new people
* Have fun
* Interact directly with clients
* Work with a team
* Work with technology
* Build resume
62 More opportunities with American Red Cross Serving Kansas and Oklahoma3 Reviews
About American Red Cross Serving Kansas and Oklahoma
10151 East 11th Street, Tulsa, OK 74128, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Local non-Profit offering several lines of service to local communities to provide life saving blood and blood products, disaster preparedenss, response and recovery, and serve our military through services to armed forces.
Multiple locations Purcell, OK 73080
March 27, 2023
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Safety & Disaster Education
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- We prefer you complete a minimum of one 4 or 6-hour on-call shift per week (16-20 hours per month) on a reoccurring basis
- Required Training: Approx 8-10 hours of initial online training followed by mentoring and on the job training