Teacher Aid for Preschool and Elementary Grades One and Two
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Camino Seguro / Safe Passage
This role has been created for an ESL-trained volunteer who would like to join us for a minimum of three months as a support teacher for our preschoolers, 1st and 2nd graders. This is an opportunity to work alongside our locally trained ESL teacher working in large classrooms to support them teaching the curriculum. You will be asked to work alongside them whilst teaching the grammar and reading classes and take lead when teaching the conversation classes; it is likely you will work closely with those students struggling in class. This is an opportunity for you to bring your creativity and ideas and help develop something that will have a lasting impact on the school and community.
Volunteer Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are an idea of the principal responsibilities of the role however, other things may be added as the role develops:
1. Proactively assist the local ESL teacher to teach preschool grades Parvulos 1, 2 and 3 and elementary grades one and two, working with small groups and individuals to support the learning in the classroom.
2. Assist the teacher to prepare lesson plans, materials for class and the classroom ready for the students.
3. Take the lead teaching ESL conversation classes to elementary grades one and two, lesson planning following a curriculum and leading the classes, keeping the lead teacher informed at all times.
4. Work alongside the other preschool and elementary teachers working as a team and involving yourself in school events and activities.
5. Be a role model for the students as they navigate their school time.
Our promise to you:
We pledge to provide the following elements to the program to ensure its success:
1. A safe, secure, supportive working environment allowing you to feel accountable for your work whilst supported by the team;
2. Access to our onsite health clinic for any health issues; all contact with the clinic remains confidential;
3. Support from the department head to allow you to complete your task;
4. 24/7 support from our volunteer coordinator onsite and when in your homestay;
5. Support from the director of volunteering onsite;
6. An opportunity to test your skills and knowledge and gain experience and knowledge in a professional work environment;
7. An opportunity to be a role model for the children;
8. An opportunity to make a lasting difference to the community;
9. A place to meet like-minded individuals and make life-long friends;
10. A work reference to take home with you written and signed by the director of volunteering;
11. An opportunity to be awarded the President’s Volunteer Service Award (US citizens only) for your hard work and dedication - awarded on completion of contract period.
1. A qualification:
a. Related to teaching in preschool or elementary.
b. Related to teaching English or ESL to young learners (for example TEYL)
c. At least two years’ experience working in a preschool or elementary classroom with a structured curriculum.
2. Intermediate level Spanish.
3. Willing to commit to a minimum of three-month volunteer period working Monday to Friday.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8434 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
6A AvenidaCiudad de Guatemala, Guatemala Guatemala
February 17, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME