Young People in Recovery, IDEA Corps Volunteer Chapter Lead- New Orleans
ORGANIZATION: Young People in Recovery
Please visit the new page to apply.
Young People in Recovery -
IDEA Corps Chapter Lead- New Orleans, LA
VOLUNTEER ROUGHLY 20HRS/WEEK
Who We Are:
Young People in Recovery (YPR) envisions a world where everyone can access the necessary resources to recover from substance use disorder.
YPR’s mission is to provide the training and networks all individuals, families, and communities need to recover and maximize their full potential.
Visit the YPR website at www.youngpeopleinrecovery.orgfor additional information.
YPR IDEA Corps Mission:
YPR recognizes that access to substance use disorder services has been historically and systemically unfair and, thus, has left marginalized communities underserved. YPR’s IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility) Corps will work to establish local chapters in five, key, minority-majority cities. Those chapters will support people in or seeking recovery by empowering them to obtain stable employment, secure suitable housing, and continue and complete their educations. Chapters will also advocate on the local and state levels for better accessibility of these services and other effective recovery resources, particularly for people of color. This peer-based network relies on monthly workshops and pro-social events, quarterly advocacy events, and regular all-recovery meetings and will be supported by a network of local stakeholders and YPR’s Director of Strategic Equity and Inclusion.
YPR IDEA Corps is a volunteer opportunity. However, YPR seeks applicants interested in acquiring their Peer Recovery Support Specialist Certification and will cover the costs of said certification, as well as provide additional support, training, and mentorship opportunities throughout course of study. This opportunity is perfect for someone with a passion for the recovery community who’s hoping to make a career out of making a difference.
If that’s you, then please apply today!
Note: This position requires a time commitment of roughly 20 hours per week
- Complete YPR’s online orientation and study YPR Leadership Handbook
- Oversee all Chapter events (all-recovery meetings, pro-social events, advocacy events, chapter workshops) and operations with fidelity to ensure YPR Chapter compliance.
- Communicate weekly with designated Regional Chapter Coordinator.
- Recruit Chapter Members and develop Chapter Leadership Team
- Recruit Community Stakeholders to develop and maintain Chapter Advisory Board
- Communicate weekly with Chapter Leadership Team
- Engage in grassroots community outreach via emails, phone calls and face-to-face meetings.
- Utilize the YPR Connect portal to submit past event reports, upcoming event submissions, and funding requests.
- Register Chapter leaders, members, and supporters through the appropriate platforms (YPR Connect/YPR website)
- Secure free or inexpensive venue space for Chapter meetings and events.
- Collaborate with RSS Peer Support Specialists and Site Implementers to build bridge between the Chapter and other YPR programs.
- Collaborate with other YPR Chapter Leads for statewide joint events and advocacy efforts.
- Support and encourage the many pathways of recovery.
Marginal/incidental functions and other related tasks, as assigned.
Location: New Orleans
Official Title: YPR IDEA Corps Chapter Lead
Compensation: N/A (Volunteer)
Hours: Roughly 20 hours per week
- Understanding of substance use prevention and recovery
- Positive and supportive attitude toward all pathways of recovery
- Sensitivity and awareness of the unique needs and stigmas associated with underserved populations.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- A willingness to serve your community by telling your own story and providing peer recovery services.
- A deep love of the Detroit and the people of this city
- Personal experience in recovery
- Experience working successfully with young adults.
- Experience working successfully with people with substance use disorders.
- Experience working successfully with diverse communities.
- Previous training and certification in trauma-informed response, cultural competency, and peer education.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
Physical demands and work environment:
- Occasionally required to stand.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Continually required to talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and /or move more than 10 pounds.
People in recovery, and YPR chapter members/leaders encouraged to apply. Diverse candidates encouraged to apply.
YPR is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate, and we will take affirmative action to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, nation or origin, age, religion, creed, disability, recovery status, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
3 More opportunities with Young People in Recovery
About Young People in Recovery
201 4th street, Loveland, CO 80537, US
YPR’s mission is to provide the life skills and peer supports to help people recover from substance use disorder and reach their full potential. YPR’s core values are community, caring, respect, inclusion, and commitment.
YPR envisions a world where all young people have the resources they need to thrive in recovery from addiction to drugs and alcohol.
YPR’s mission is to provide the life skills and peer supports to help people recover from substance use disorder and reach their full potential.
YPR’s core values are community, caring, respect, inclusion, and commitment.
Multiple locations New Orleans, LA 70114
February 17, 2023
- Grant Writing / Research
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Resource Development / Management
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- roughly 20hrs per week