DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Media Strategy Development for NGO working in Haiti
ORGANIZATION: HOPE FOR HAITIANS INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Volunteers will create a strategic plan to change Haiti's negative narrative and showcase positive work. The plan will include traditional media outlets such as TV, radio, newspapers, and magazines, with social media as a supplementary tool. The goal is to shed a positive light on Haiti, increase awareness of our programs, and generate partnerships and financial support.
Currently, news from Haiti mostly focuses on poverty, unrest, gangs, crisis, or disaster. By highlighting the good work happening in Haiti, we aim to show the possibility of a brighter future for the Haitian people. Hope for Haitians has received some coverage in the past, but mostly during crisis moments. We want to develop a media plan that will proactively engage with media to showcase positive improvements in Haiti and create a long-term impact.
Our objectives are to:
- Develop a media plan that nurtures interest and awareness of our work, independent of crisis moments. We want to be a source of "good news" about Haiti and its people.
- Identify specific skill-based roles required to execute the plan and recruit volunteers who want to make a transformational change for families in extreme poverty.
The media relations plan will deliver the following:
- Educate Hope for Haitians staff about media relations
- Identify media-friendly messaging about the work of Hope for Haitians
- Enhance the existing list of media contacts
- Develop and execute a plan for media engagement
- Establish a timely process for press releases and other materials for media outlets
- Identify necessary skill sets for long-term implementation
- Assist in creating clear role descriptions for volunteers
With only 1.5 staff members, volunteers are crucial to Hope for Haitians. Over 40 volunteers in Haiti and 25 in the US serve in leadership, community development, board membership, fundraising, and event planning. Volunteers help raise funds, communicate the organization's work, measure its impact, and plan projects for maximum effect in Haiti.
The Executive Director is the primary point of contact and can easily provide access to information, images, staff, board, volunteers, and Haiti contacts. Slack and Trello accounts are in place for managing project communication, with Microsoft Teams and Zoom available for virtual meetings.
Select Prior Media Highlights
NPR - Illinois Public Radio - the 21 st Show
Aug 2022 - https://will.illinois.edu/21stshow/story/illinois-extends-hope-to-haitians
Aug 2021 - https://will.illinois.edu/21stshow/story/haiti-earthquake
Aug 2022 - https://www.wifr.com/video/2022/08/24/hope-haitians-prepares-build-th-village-haiti/
Aug 2021 - https://www.wifr.com/2021/08/29/hope-haitians-strives-build-50-more-houses/
July 2021 - https://www.mystateline.com/news/local-news/rockford-haitian-relief-group-standing-by-to-offer-help-as-earthquake-death-toll-rises/
2 More opportunities with HOPE FOR HAITIANS INC
About HOPE FOR HAITIANS INC
PO BOX 5647, ROCKFORD, IL 61125, US
To provide shelter, clean water, agricultural resources, medical support, education and sustainable skills for the poorest of the poor in Haiti.
Since 2001, Hope for Haitians has worked to bring clean water, food, housing, education and medical services to Haiti, home to more than nine million people and considered to be the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere.
While helping to meet the basic needs of Haitians for housing and clean water, Hope for Haitians also creates sustainable solutions for continued self-sufficiency and provides education programs to prepare the next generation.
Since 2001, Hope for Haitians has:
+ Completed 17 village projects
+ Provided fresh water for 270,000 people
+ Built homes for 765 families
+ Housed over 4,590 people
+ Provided more than 5,000 animals for food and income
+ Ensured 1,710 students received a year of education
+ Trained local leadership councils
~ each year through the work of Hope for Haitians~
+ 1,200+ People Receive Medical Care at Fixed and Mobile Clinics
+ 6,000+ People Benefit from Chickens, Goats, Cassava Bakeries, Rice and Corn Mills, and Other Projects to Produce Food and Income
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
February 12, 2023
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Strategic Planning
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- We are ideally looking for someone who can dedicate 3-5 hours per week, with the strategy development phase taking between 6-9 weeks. The implementation of the strategic plan will be ongoing, and if necessary, it can be passed on to another volunteer
- Experience in media relations prefferably including radio, television, newspapers or magazines.