Kinyeti Academy's Chief Academic Officer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Kinyeti Academy
Position: Chief Academic Officer
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Kinyeti Academy is a K-12 school that seeks to develop a new generation of leaders, entrepreneurs, and social builders in South Sudan. The Academy is located in Juba, South Sudan’s capital city. The school will open its doors in February 2024 to a cohort of young people in primary six selected from across South Sudan who demonstrate strong academic performance and leadership in their communities. The school will offer an academic program focused on cultivating rigor in literacy and numeracy as well as a focus on science and technology. It is hoped that the academic program will offer students the preparation to lead locally and also compete alongside the best in the world, providing pathways to universities in Africa and the rest of the world. We will launch with a small cohort of 50 students and hope the academy will grow to 600 students. Kinyeti’s approach to teaching and learning will serve as a model for South Sudan. It will also provide an innovative teacher training program to educators from across the country. The founder and an international group of advisors are now recruiting the founding team of educators to launch the school. We are focusing on recruiting initial mission-inspired individuals who are motivated by a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to set up a school that will be critical in the post-conflict rebuilding effort of South Sudan. We believe Kinyeti Academy will not just be a normal school; it will change the future direction of our country.
The Academy is seeking an outstanding school leader to volunteer as the inaugural Chief Academic Officer(CAO) who will have the overall responsibility for the desired learning outcomes. He/she will oversee teaching and learning, serving as the instructional leader for the new school. The job will include managing the faculty, piloting the curriculum, and creating and mapping Kinyeti’s learning outcomes. He/she will ensure that the overall learning experience reflects the school's vision and mission. The Chief Academic Officer will also work closely with the founding team, parents, and other stakeholders including the advisory board.
- Serve as an instructional leader
- Onboard, train, and oversee the academic team
- Pilot and test our new curriculum
- Set and model a tone of high expectations and academic excellence
- Shape the student experience, both in and out of the classroom, in a manner that reflects the school’s vision, mission, and core values
- Collaborate with the founder to build the systems and processes that are needed for the smooth operations of the school
- Act as an academic ambassador for Kinyeti with a wide variety of constituencies
- Communicate on a regular basis with parents and guardians on student academic matters
A strong candidate will have the following profile
- A track record as a highly effective teacher
- At least 5 years of experience teaching in a school setting with high expectations including in instructional leadership roles
- A track record as an exceptional team leader and culture builder
- Experience developing curriculum and working with the globally recognized examination board
- Willing to commit deeply to Kinyeti’s mission of developing and nurturing a new generation of leaders, entrepreneurs, and social builders from South Sudan.
- Flexible and self-motivated person, who is conformable with a startup environment and happy with juggling multiple work streams
- Has an adequate sense of humor
- Is a team player with the ability to inspire others
- Pioneering mindset
- Willing to work in a rural setting with minimal modern social amenities.
- Native English speaker
A decent volunteer compensation (for a school startup in a developing country), health insurance, and an annual return ticket for those originating out of South Sudan.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a CV and an appropriate cover letter outlining your experience and passion for Kinyeti Academy’s vision and mission to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate 'Kinyeti Chief Academic Officer' in the subject line of your email.
Kinyeti Academy is an equal-opportunity employer. We consider all applications on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8483 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
South of Jebel DinkaJebel GwagweJuba, 00000South Sudan
February 9, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME