Bolder Options makes being a youth mentor a simple path to follow . First, you're asked to "Just be YOU" and share your passion for living a healthy, active lifestyle. Second, we ask that you and your mentee get up, get out, and be active, letting your light shine once a week for 2-4 hours, for just one year. Bolder Options Youth Mentoring program prevents young people, age 10-14, from going down the wrong path by providing positive opportunities, guidance and support that empowers them to make the right turn.
We pair our referred youth with active, positive, caring adults like you! You don't need to be the hero...you're not even asked to save the day. Just be willing to open some new doors and explore a world of opportunities with a young person that needs a few more positive influences in their life. As part of the physical activities you'll share, you and your mentee are asked to choose either a *running or biking focus for your "challenge" program. You don't need to be an experienced, hard-core athlete. Just able to ride comfortably or walk a 5k at a minimum. You'll train to improve your abilities, work to achieve the goals you set together, and achieve the minimum Bolder Options criteria for the program. Bolder Options provides resources, support, and training for our mentors throughout the time of your match. We're always there for you! You are supported and appreciated every step of the way with resources like FREE YMCA gym memberships, tickets to events when available, and monthly program opportunities and adventures to keep you guys movin' and groovin'!
The mentoring experience through Bolder Options is synergetic and includes more than just the physcial improvements. Exploration of opportunities, giving back to your community, growing, cooking and eating healthy foods, achieving academic, social and personal goals and strengthening the family bond creates a full-circle of health and well-being that can help these kids choose to follow a path toward a brighter future.
Be BOLD...Be a Bolder Options mentor. Join us today!
*All levels of Runners and bikers are welcome. You must be physically able to run or walk a 5K*
- Complete mentor application
- Commit to a one-year match with one youth, meeting 2-4 hours a week
- Meet program coordinator, youth and family in their home for the match introduction
- Take mentee to pick out a pair of running shoes or a bike & helmet (provided by Bolder Options)
- Attend Mentor Follow-Up Training within 4 months of match date
- Attend program meetings and group activities with your mentee
- Complete a minimum of three cycling or running events with your mentee
- Attend graduation ceremony at the end of the one-year match
- Runners and bikers of all abilities are welcome. You must be physically able to run or walk a 5K
Benefits of Mentoring:
- Make a difference in a young person's life and in your local community
- Attend sporting events, museums, theater and other metro attractions
- Free access to local YMCAs with your mentee
- Meet other like-minded individuals
- It is life-changing and FUN!
- Submit volunteer application, http://bolderoptions.org/volunteer/mentor/mentor-application/
- Attend personal interview
- Personal reference check
- Criminal and motor vehicle record check
- Attend 2.5 hour mentor orientation
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 2 - 4 hours per week/ 1 year