1 person is interested
Run with and mentor youth of color in a community building, non-competitive running environment
ORGANIZATION: TRINITY BOSTON CONNECTS INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
To mitigate complexity given COVID and BPS requirements, all non-BPS employees will be asked to provide proof of Covid vaccination.
Apply here: https://tinyurl.com/oldsoleinterestform
Are you someone who loves being active? Do you like working with kids, making friends, and building relationships? Do you like cheering youth on and helping them achieve seemingly impossible goals, all while having fun? We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to run and attend practices with Sole Train, working alongside students grades 5-8, at the Murphy K-8 School in Dorchester.
Sole Train, a program of Trinity Boston Connects, is a free community-building and mentoring program that uses running as a vehicle for setting and achieving seemingly impossible goals. As a supportive community of caring adults and peers, Sole Train champions young people as they realize their capacity for greatness.
Students (Young Soles), grades 4-10, and adult volunteers (Old Soles) at Boston area public schools and community centers practice at their site 1-2 times a week and participate in community building events and races, leading up to Sole Train’s culminating goal: Boston’s Run to Remember, a 5 mile or half marathon race, that takes place Memorial Day Weekend.
We are a diverse, non-competitive, and inclusive running community. Running experience is not required, but openness to running is. Sole Train is looking for volunteers that represent the diversity of the youth that we serve. People of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Get a feel for our community: Sole Train 5K
What you will be doing:
- Attending practices at the K-8 Murphy School on Wednesdays from 3:10 to 4:30pm.
- Committing to participating in Sole Train (ST) for the duration of the school year, including all practices, orientation, and races/community building events.
- Working with your Site Coordinator, who will be responsible for running practice.
- Notifying your Site Coordinator if unable to attend practice, ideally 24-hour notice. Quite difficult when OSs don’t come to practice, especially with no heads up.
- Reading, reviewing, and responding to communication from STHQ and SCs in a timely fashion.
- Showing enthusiasm and commitment to training with and being a positive, supportive team player to create a safe, fun, and welcoming space for all participants.
- Supporting SCs as needed (e.g. taking attendance, calling home, coordinating transportation).
- Running experience is NOT required, but openness to running is!
- Reliable transportation to and from the Murphy K-8 School
- Enthusiasm for working with youth of color
- An understanding of systemic racism and its impact on youth of color
Sole Train supports Old Soles by providing:
- Program orientation, social events, trainings, and prep parties
- STHQ site visits and anytime/as needed in-the-moment troubleshooting and support
- Guidance from Site Coordinators
- Free race registrations
- High quality gear/swag
- The chance to be a part of a supportive, diverse, and non-competitive running community
- Transformational relationships with our young people
Feel free to spread the word-running is more fun with friends!
Sole Train: Boston Runs Together is a program of Trinity Boston Connects. Trinity Boston Connects people, programs, and practices to heal the traumatic impact of systemic racism on youth of color in Boston.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
03:00 PM to 04:30 PM
3:10pm to 4:30pm
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
1 More opportunity with TRINITY BOSTON CONNECTS INC
About TRINITY BOSTON CONNECTS INC
C/O TRINITY CHURCH 206 CLARENDON ST, BOSTON, MA 02116, US
Trinity Boston Connects' mission is to unlock opportunity and change the odds for the youth of Boston.
In partnership, we build communities that:
- affirm, inspire, and empower youth and their families;
- offer holistic support for physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being; and
- strengthen community health and cohesion across Boston.
1 Worrell StreetBoston, MA 02122
February 7, 2023
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Availability from 3:10 to 4:30 on Wednesdays.