Education Team Leader
ORGANIZATION: SOUTH BAY WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARD INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
2022-23 Full-time Volunteer AmeriCorps Member Position Description - Education Team Leader
SBWIB, Inc., (SBWIB) YouthBuild is proud to host AmeriCorps Members! AmeriCorps is the national volunteer service initiative that provides community service opportunities to people of all ages and backgrounds. Through their service, Volunteer AmeriCorps members address the critical needs in local communities. SBWIB YouthBuild works with AmeriCorps members to provide assistance in the classroom and training areas as our program helps rebuild the lives of young individuals and their communities.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) volunteer position as an Education Team Leader of SBWIB YouthBuild AmeriCorps Program. The Education Team Leader is not a staff role, and, thus, does not provide supervision to YouthBuild AmeriCorps members. Instead, their role is designed to provide an additional layer of leadership and support to all YouthBuild AmeriCorps staff and members, which includes providing assistance to program teachers and staff in improving the English, Science, Math, History, Economics, Technology and Leadership skills for program participants studying to achieve a GED/HSD. Additionally, they will assist by providing information and resources on best practices and/or by helping to develop the education portion of the YouthBuild program.
Under direction of the Youth Programs’ Coordinator, Manager or designee, the Education Team Leader performs various service-based activities and will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Provide individual guidance to students in English, Science, Math, History, Economics, Technology, and Leadership subjects under teacher supervision
- Provide small group facilitation of classroom activities to support skill acquisition in English, Science, Math, History, Economics, Technology, and Leadership under teacher supervision
- Assist teachers with classroom activities
- Assist with job readiness training for all YouthBuild participants
- Provide supervised guidance to all YouthBuild participants about possible careers and college placement
- Participate in SBWIB YouthBuild, YouthBuild USA, and AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities
- Assist with the planning and/or implementation of a project on a designated national day of service such as September 11th National Day of Service & Remembrance, Veterans Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Global Youth Service Day and AmeriCorps Week
- Promote service-learning within the classroom
- Other similar tasks as assigned
Must be at least 17 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and be a US Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the USA. AmeriCorps members will be subject to background screening processes and must be able to satisfactorily pass a background check. Must be able to adhere to the policies related to the Drug Free Workplace Act.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication.
- Organized and ability to manage details efficiently and effectively.
- Computer proficient, including MS Word and Excel.
- Flexibility, patience, tolerance and willingness to learn new related skills.
- Experience in management and motivation of volunteers is a plus.
- A basic understanding of SBWIB YouthBuild and commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Committed to the concept of national service and to making a difference in the community.
The Education Team Leader AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance of $16,502.00, paid out over the term of service, and health insurance if they are not already covered. Members may also qualify for childcare allowance.
Upon successful completion of service, members will receive an education award of $6,495.00. Other benefits include student loan deferment, professional training, valuable networking opportunities, serving with a dedicated team of AmeriCorps members and staff, and the opportunity to make a real difference.
Performing duties for this position may require spending the majority of the day walking, standing, sitting at a desk, lifting, bending, using construction related equipment and wearing protective equipment (e.g. mask, gloves, etc.,) as needed and following protective measures as enforced by the Company, City, County, State and/or Federal Authorities as it relates to current states of emergencies (e.g., pandemics) or the functions of this position.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com for consideration. Recruitment for this position will end upon receipt of a sufficient number of résumés. Only those applicants with the most relevant qualifications and knowledge will be invited to participate in the oral interview. No phone calls please.
The SBWIB, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, ancestry, religion, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
The SBWIB, Inc. provides reasonable accommodations consistent with its legal obligations. Therefore, applicants who may need reasonable accommodations or other assistance in relation to a disability or religion, at any point within the application process or thereafter if hired, should immediately inform SBWIB, Inc. by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS: A person, including a member, a community beneficiary, a service recipient, or program staff, may not, on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, orientation, age, political affiliation, disability, or, in most cases, religion (except as noted below) be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination, directly or through contractual or other arrangements, under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
If you believe that you or others have been discriminated against, or if you want more information, contact YouthBuild USA in Somerville, MA at email@example.com.
Every effort shall be made to grant reasonable accommodation for qualified people with disabilities to participate in this AmeriCorps program.
1 More opportunity with SOUTH BAY WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARD INC
About SOUTH BAY WORKFORCE INVESTMENT BOARD INC
11539 HAWTHORNE BLVD STE 500, HAWTHORNE, CA 90250, US
The primary objective of the SBWIB is to provide policy guidance which will allow the staff to create an environment where every person maximizes his or her career potential, and all employers have the human resources they need to grow and prosper.
SBWIB administers employment and training programs through four One-Stop Business & Career Services centers, and serves the 11 cities of the South Bay Workforce Investment Area, which include the cities of Carson, El Segundo, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Lawndale, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Lomita and Torrance.
5021 Lennox BlvdInglewood, CA 90304
February 4, 2023
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training