DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
Interfaith Street Chaplaincy
ORGANIZATION: RAISING SPARKS INTERFAITH MINISTRY
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
5 people are interested
Raising Sparks is seeking in-person volunteers who love engaging with people and have an interest in furthering their understanding and practice of interfaith hospitality and spiritual care ! Interfaith Street Chaplaincy volunteers will be immersed in direct service opportunities, ranging from making peanut butter & jelly sandwiches with volunteers and distributing them to people living on the streets; putting together harm reduction and hygiene kits that include life-saving supplies, such as Narcan; holding memorial services at SRO hotels and providing residents with emotional support; participating in outdoor communal meal events; and connecting those we serve to other community resources and services.
Volunteers and those we serve will meet each other on equal ground, learning from each other and breaking down stereotypes and assumptions through positive mirroring and authentic kindness and friendship. We believe that nurturing community, friendliness, and interpersonal care are crucial ways of improving the quality of life of those we serve, and we seek to be a source of love and safety for our neighbors living outside/in marginal housing.
You will largely be working and coordinating with our Street Team (Director of Interfaith Spiritual Care & Director of Street Outreach and Hospitality). This opportunity will be an excellent fit for anyone interested in chaplaincy, social work, direct services, and/or nonprofit programming.Dedicated internship program available for those interested in a more set commitment!
- Accompanying our Street Chaplains and other outreach staff/volunteers on "street visits," which include checking in with people who are living outside, offering kindness, friendliness, food, harm reduction supplies (such as Narcan), and more;
- Supporting the Interfaith Chaplain/staff member in holding safe and sacred space for people to share stories, receive blessings, pray together, or simply engage;
- Visiting community centers, parks, and SRO sites to offer groups and services.
- Ability and openness to working with people from all faith traditions, or no faith tradition
- Ability to travel 4-8 blocks on street visits
- Respectful and authentically kind approach to engaging the people we serve
- Willingness to accept guidance from staff and adhere to all safety guidelines
- Commitment to values, mission, and vision statement
- Gain a working understanding of harm reduction theory and techniques
- Introduction to interfaith spiritual care and practice
- Develop understandings of addiction and different recovery modalities
- Gain knowledge of the San Francisco social services & emergency systems
- Learn more about the Tenderloin and the grassroots resources and adjacent nonprofit organizations/services that operate here
- Learn and practice different healing modalities that one can use in their own self-care
- For students, class credit can be arranged according to school requirements
3 More opportunities with RAISING SPARKS INTERFAITH MINISTRY
About RAISING SPARKS INTERFAITH MINISTRY
46 TINGLEY STREET B, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94112, US
Raising Sparks Interfaith Ministry is a progressive, radically inclusive street outreach ministry based in harm reduction principles, expressive arts, trauma-informed engagement, and interfaith spiritual practices. We offer communal meals, needed supplies, recovery support, friendship, spiritual care, compassion and community to our unhoused Friends and SRO hotel communities in the Tenderloin, SOMA, and beyond.
In 2018, having witnessed many obstacles to healing in existing systems, two people with over three decades of combined experience working in San Francisco mental health services, Reverend Ann Marie Coletta and Greg Aherne, decided to try something new: taking to the streets to address the underlying emotional and spiritual needs of communities experiencing homelessness in the Tenderloin & South of Market, in order for them to better engage in existing city services and programs. Raising Sparks was created out of the belief that offering radical acceptance and supportive, loving community allows people living in trauma and hardship to build the self-esteem necessary to seek and accept needed care.
Our programs (offerings) include our PB&J Ministry, which takes to the streets to distribute peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, other meals, and hygiene and harm reduction supplies, such as Narcan, as well as host outdoor meal events in alleyways; our Interfaith Street Chaplaincy, which provides one-on-one spiritual care and harm reduction and recovery support; and our Community Arts program, which aims to support and platform the artists within our unhoused and marginally housed communities.
We envision a city that honors every human being as sacred, in which people who are experiencing homelessness, addiction, and trauma are seen, heard, loved, and respected as whole and priceless beings.
Multiple locations San Francisco, CA 94102
January 30, 2023
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Spiritual Healing
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Social Work
- Must be at least 18
- The time commitment for this volunteer opportunity is between 10-15 hours per week, largely in the morning hours on Mondays through Fridays!