ESOL Volunteer Tutor/Mentor for Aspiring Healthcare Professionals
102 people are interested
Position Title: ESOL Volunteer Tutor/Mentor for Aspiring Healthcare Professionals
Purpose: Help adult immigrant students who are pursuing a career in healthcare to improve their English language skills and mentor them as they prepare for work as a Certified Nursing Assistant or in a similar healthcare profession.
- Conduct lessons using provided curricula
- Create lessons and deliver instruction based on a student-centered approach
- Support students in obtaining an understanding of nursing or related healthcare profession, the specialized vocabulary needed, and education needed to enter into and advance within the field.
- Support students in career exploration, improving job readiness skills and finding jobs
- Communicate with staff to fully support students looking for employment (where applicable)
- Contribute at least six months of volunteer tutoring on a once or twice-weekly basis for two to four hours of instruction each week
- Submit a monthly tutor report by the 5th of each month for one-to-one tutoring sessions or submit a weekly class sign-in sheet for small groups
- Complete all entry-level training sessions
- Complete a minimum of two supplemental trainings throughout the year
- Participate in the tutor coaching program
Training: Prospective tutors are required to complete all training sessions before being matched with an individual student or a small group of students. The training is designed to address the specific strategies and issues relevant to adult learning and the intake process. Please see the calendar for upcoming training dates.
Time Commitment: Tutors are asked to meet with their student for 2-4 hours each week for at least six months.
- Work experience as a healthcare professional
- Enthusiastic about reading, writing, and the English language
- Patient with students
Scheduling and Tutoring Sites: The meeting day(s), time(s) and the site will be selected at the mutual convenience of both the tutor and student as indicated on applications.
We'll work with your schedule.
122 N. Elm Street, Suite 920Greensboro, NC 27401
- Adult Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3-4 hours/week for one year