Volunteer with CMMB in Kenya
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: CMMB
Contact & Application:
Apply Online at: https://cmmb.org/get-involved/volunteer/
Are you seeking a volunteer opportunity where you can make a huge difference to women, children and communities in Kenya? CMMB is seeking professionals who are looking for the following positions to serve in community based healthcare programs to improve the health and well-being of the most vulnerable:
- MD- General Practitioner/Internal Medicine, Pediatrician, and OB-GYN:
- Function appropriately as a part of the care delivery team through efficient use of resources and skills to provide direct patient care of clinical patients for designated specialty. Provide an educational role to staff and community to build health system capacity.
- Nurse (RN or BSN)
- Consult and coordinate with healthcare team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans and update medical history and progress notes. Provide mentorship and guidance to facility staff to build health system capacity.
- Nurse Educators:
- Design and implement a training curriculum based on staff and students needs by combining classroom theory with clinical experience and performing assessments.
- Perform essential sexual, reproductive, maternal and newborn health services to members of the community.
- Lab Technician:
- Work in a clinical setting to collect samples and perform tests on body fluids, tissues, and other substances, ability to operate lab equipment and communicate findings with hospital staff. Provide educational instruction to staff and community to build health system capacity.
- IT Specialist:
- Ability to provide support to healthcare workers in the organization by helping with technology set up, troubleshooting issues, and helping users who may be experiencing difficulties
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists:
- Provide rehabilitation and goal-oriented therapy, as well as educate patients and families to facilitate at home care. Provide guidance to staff on therapeutic options.
- Public Health Generalist:
- Collaborate with health specialists and civic groups to determine community health needs and co-develop need-based goals and assist with the planning and implementation of projects.
- E-Health Expert:
- Serve as an expert who develops, delivers, and maintains high quality healthcare via digital technologies.
CMMB - Healthier Lives Worldwide is an international, faith-based NGO providing long-term, co-operative, medical and development aid to communities affected by poverty and unequal access to healthcare. For over a century, we have worked to strengthen and support communities through healthcare programs and initiatives, the distribution of medicines and medical supplies, and the placement of volunteers.
CMMB’s Volunteer Program addresses the critical need for professionals in areas that lack sufficient resources for quality preventive and curative health services, especially for women and children. Our Volunteer Program has placed thousands of practitioners around the world to help develop and implement community health interventions, work at local hospitals and health facilities, conduct clinical training for host country counterparts, and deliver essential medicines and supplies. The ultimate goal of CMMB's Volunteer Program is to support our country teams and local healthcare workers by sending volunteers that are dedicated to strengthening local health systems and supporting a pattern of sustainable development.
CMMB in Kenya:
CMMB Kenya has a strong track record of strengthening health systems and providing quality HIV prevention, care, treatment, and support services. CMMB Kenya’s experience in managing US government and private health awards goes back more than a decade.
CMMB Kenya programs have built the capacity of local healthcare organizations to tackle not only HIV/AIDS but also other national health challenges. CMMB Kenya has a reputation for locally managed, high-quality HIV care and treatment, with low loss-to-follow-up and low mortality rates among clients. Program areas include HIV prevention, including prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV - with support from mentor mothers, and voluntary medical male circumcision, as well as HIV counseling and testing, screening for sexually transmitted infections, and behavior change communication. We also help build human resources for health and work to strengthen Kenyan health systems via direct assistance on health management information systems, finance, administration, and technical training for staff.
CMMB’s Children’s and Mothers Partnerships (CHAMPS) initiative works to improve the health of women and children and, through them, their communities. CMMB’s first CHAMPS site in Kenya is in the southeast, in the underprivileged Kitui South subcounty. The site focuses on increasing access to healthcare services; income‐generating activities such as livestock breeding; water, sanitation, and hygiene activities; and training and retention of community health workers. CMMB collaborates with the community to engage its members and facilitate their understanding of their own health needs, and acts as a convener to mobilize resources and partners.
Placement Site: Mutomo, Kenya
The village of Mutomo is located in a semi-arid area of Kenya. Although Mutomo is only about four hours by car from Nairobi, it is a world away. Mutomo is an administrative town for the County of Kitui, which has a population of over one million people. The catchment area for Kitui-South sub-county includes a population of 190,000 people and is served by Our Lady of Lourdes, Mutomo Mission Hospital.
Learn more: http://mutomohospital.or.ke/, https://cmmb.org/country-office/kenya/
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Medical professionals must have licensures in good standing, minimum Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to perform in resource-limited working conditions, adaptable
- Ability to work collaboratively and professionally while navigating cultural and language barriers
- Ability to be flexible and prioritize projects and tasks effectively; self-starter; takes initiative
- Problem solver, able to identify needs, and develop solutions
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, strong communication skills
- Familiarity and interest in global health issues, especially maternal and child health
Benefits & Conditions:Each international volunteer who serves 6 months or longer in the field receives a round-trip ticket to their placement site, housing, a monthly stipend, insurance coverage, storytelling and fundraising training, and the opportunity to contribute to vital community development initiatives for under-served populations while building a longstanding legacy for the community. Volunteers are required to share stories from the field and cover part of the cost of their placement through fundraising ($5,000).
Contact & Application:
Apply online at: https://cmmb.org/get-involved/volunteer/
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8323 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Mutomo, Kitui County 10005Kenya
January 28, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME