Builders of the New World Mentor Program Spring 2023
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: The Actors Theatre Workshop, Inc.
Mentor Children and Be a Member of Our Award-Winning Theatre Program
Builders of the New World, now in its 27th year, brings together professionals across all industries to provide a safe creative haven of stability for NYC children residing in temporary housing facilities.
Bring your heart and commitment to mentor children in our award-winning theatre and education after-school program that has served over 2,500 homeless children and their families, and partnered with over 20 housing facilities, since 1995.
Our program helps at-risk students express their voice, see beyond their current circumstances, and envision a positive future. And they need you to reach their full potential!
Our six-month program includes 12 weeks of life-changing creative classes for the children taught by ATW’s Artistic Director and Founder Thurman E. Scott, family-style meals we enjoy together at each session, holiday classes, and a final performance for the community.
ATW’s Mentorship program provides you and your colleagues (either as a team or individuals) with the opportunity to support and nurture 7-13 year old children in a safe, creative environment. Our program will enable you to serve the community while growing and gaining new skills and insights--enhance team building, improve inter-group communication skills, address diversity issues with compassion and expansive thinking, and develop creative expression through a deeply rewarding shared experience.
How to Become a BNW Mentor:
Dedicate your time, passion, and expertise and help us serve children in need!
- Each potential Mentor will attend a Virtual Info and Interview Session after completing the Individual Mentor Application. To apply as a team, please provide initial information through our Corporate Inquiry form.
- Participate in two creative training sessions with ATW’s Artistic Director and Founder, Thurman E. Scott
- Mentor the children during a holiday class December 14th, 2022 and / or weekly Spring 2023 classes at ATWEvent planning
- Outreach - Social Media, PR
- Food Donations
- Videography & Photography
- In-Kind donations
- Mentors will also use their professional expertise as part of a production team:
- Team actions take place every week
Spring BNW 2023:
January / February 2023
- Info and Interview Sessions for New Team MembersSaturday 1/14 from 2:00pm - 4:30pm
- Saturday 1/21 from 2:00pm - 4:30pm
- Monday 1/30 from 6:00pm - 8:30pm
- Saturday 2/4 from 2:00pm - 4:30pm
- Additional dates to be announced
- Acceptance into the program
- Join teams and begin working in key project areas
- Meet the Artistic Director and attend two Creative Training ClassesSession 1: Saturday 2/18 and Wednesday 2/22, 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Session 2: Tuesdays, 2/28 and 3/7, 6:00pm - 9:30pm
Tuesdays, March 28th - June 13th, 2023
- Mentor in Children’s ClassesClasses meet Tuesday from 4:00pm - 8:30pm
- Weekly Program Production ActivitiesMentors participate in weekly production activities as available
- Rehearsal for Children’s PerformanceSaturday, June 10th, time to be announced
- Production Prep before Children’s Performance
- Final Rehearsal for Children’s PerformanceTuesday, June 13th, 4:00pm - 8:30pm
- Children’s Performance and FundraiserThursday, June 15th, time to be announced
- Program Follow-Up, Cast Party, and Volunteer Recognition Ceremony
Our Builders of the New World program helps at-risk students express their voice,
see beyond their current circumstances, and envision a positive future.
And they need you to reach their full potential!
Please fill out our Corporate Inquiry to set up an Information Session. You can also email our Corporate Program Specialist at email@example.com or call (212) 947-1386.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8434 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
145 W. 28th Street3rd FloorNew York, NY 10001
January 27, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK