Decrease Social Isolation, Become a Phone Friend
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Meals on Wheels Kitsap
Numerous studies have shown that social isolation and loneliness leads to negative health outcomes. Meals on Wheels Kitsap seeks to provide meals, nutrition, and support services to improve the quality of life for seniors and others with hunger and health needs in Kitsap County. In order to support people aging in place with good nutrition, independence and dignity, Kitsap Phone Friends is intended to connect lonely seniors and adults with disabilities who may be socially isolated for a variety of reasons, with others in their community.
The volunteer - using an agency provided phone (in office) - or, who uses their personal phone (protocols) will be assigned a list of no more than 10 clients to call once a week. Ideally, the phone call will last at least 15 minutes but is client driven. Time of the calls should take place between 10AM and 5PM. Client preference for times should be considered in order to increase the chances of making contact. The intent of the calls includes conversations which: verify clients' well-being, share important information, referrals if needed, and to provide socialization and support.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
· Able to listen and communicate with a non-judgmental attitude
· Able to work independently, think and act quickly when necessary
· Able to convey empathy, understanding and warmth
· Express concern for the client’s situation and needs
· At least 18 years of age with access to dependable transportation (if working on-site)
· Successfully pass an annual background check
· Ability to make a 6-month commitment and attend all required training
· Must have a reliable working phone and Internet connection if making calls from home and follow protocols for home-based calls
· Be conscientious about recording each contact promptly and submitting these using the electronic submittal form
· Careful not to make commitments to anything outside their scope of responsibilities under this program
Prospective volunteers must complete a volunteer application, pass a background check, attend required orientation and training, and if volunteering in office, provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination status. This volunteer position is available to Kitsap residents and may be done from home.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Bremerton, WA 98310
January 25, 2023
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK