Raise a Puppy, Change a Life
ORGANIZATION: Canine Companions for Independence
Please visit the new page to apply.
Canine Companions is a non-profit organization that provides expertly trained service dogs to adults, children and veterans completely free of charge. Help us provide more service dogs - become a volunteer puppy raiser today! Open your heart and home to a puppy with a purpose and you can help change lives.
Canine Companions volunteer puppy raisers provide specially-bred puppies a safe home, teach basic skills, provide socialization opportunities and give lots of love. Each hour spent caring for a Canine Companions puppy is vital to its development as a future service dog. The puppy raising program provides a unique opportunity for volunteers to assist with our very important mission. If you are under the age of 18, you must have a parent or legal guardian fill out the application and you can sign on as a co-applicant.
If you would like more information about becoming a volunteer puppy raiser, please reach out to the SCR training center at email@example.com or visit our puppy raising FAQ
Volunteer puppy raisers are tasked with:
- Providing a safe environment for a puppy
- Working closely with Canine Companions to monitor the puppy’s progress and submit monthly reports
- Attending an average of two Canine Companions approved classes per month.
- Teaching the puppy manners and basic commands.
- Providing for the puppy’s food, veterinary expenses and puppy classes. You will also be responsible for transporting the dog to the regional training center at the projected time for professional training.
- Feeding the puppy a diet recommended by Canine Companions.
- Acquiring and utilizing a kennel or crate for sleeping indoors.
- Providing the puppy with age-appropriate socialization opportunities, such as public outings and veterinary appointments.
- Keeping the puppy on a leash at all times, unless supervised in a securely fenced area.
- Supervising the young puppy throughout the day.
- Agreeing to return the puppy to Canine Companions upon request.
Learn more about Canine Companions at canine.org.
About Canine Companions for Independence
7710 Las Colinas Ridge, Irving, TX 75063, US
Canine Companions provides highly trained service dogs to children and adults with disabilities. Canine Companions has training centers across the country and boasts 1,900 active graduate teams nationwide. Canine Companions has placed 5,000 teams since the organization’s inception in 1975.
Founded in 1975, Canine Companions is a non-profit organization that enhances the lives of people with disabilities by providing highly trained service dogs and ongoing support to ensure quality partnerships. Headquartered in Santa Rosa, CA, Canine Companions is the largest non-profit provider of service dogs, and is recognized worldwide for the excellence of its dogs, and the quality and longevity of the matches it makes between dogs and people. The result is a life full of increased independence and loving companionship.
Multiple locations Lubbock, TX 79423
February 3, 2023
- Animal Care / Handling
- Orientation or Training