Hospice of Southern Maine -Heartstrings
ORGANIZATION: Hospice of Southern Maine
Please visit the new page to apply.
Position Title: Heart Strings- Volunteer
Hospice of Southern Maine’s mission is to provide compassion, care, and comfort through end of life. Formed through a collaborative effort among York and Cumberland County leaders and health care providers, Hospice of Southern Maine (HSM) organized in 2001 and began providing direct patient services in 2004. Today, HSM cares for more than 1,600 patients annually, at the patient's home, current care facility, and Gosnell Memorial Hospice House, an 18-bed inpatient facility in Scarborough. HSM admits patients with a variety of diagnoses, including Alzheimer's; heart, lung, and kidney diseases; stroke; Lou Gehrig's disease; and cancer. Care is patient-centered with family support and provided by a comprehensive interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, social workers, aides, chaplains, grief counselors, and volunteers. Hospice of Southern Maine is a non-profit 501(c)3.
Primary Location: Gosnell House
Musicians who are trained hospice volunteers will play live music at the Gosnell Memorial Hospice House. Musicians are not there to be performers but rather to provide a soothing presence. The musician stays out of the way and in the background. Conversations, meals, visits or rests are able to continue. Musicians will play in the family room/lobby area and will play bed side upon request.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completes HSM training program and on job training.
- Experience: Ability to sing or play a musical instrument with proficiency.
- Screening Criteria:
- 2 personal references
- Successful completion of criminal background check.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform by singing or playing a musical instrument for patients, family, and staff.
- Create music from sounds that effect people by providing a soothing atmosphere.
Required Skills, Ability and Knowledge
- Love of singing/playing instrument(s)
- Have a good voice.
- Ability to stay calm and effective during times of stress, such as when interacting with confused or distressed individuals/families.
- Good sense of rhythm.
- Desire to perform for critically ill patients and their families.
About Hospice of Southern Maine
390 US Route One, Scarborough, ME 04074, US
compassion, care, and comfort at end of life
Comprehensive hospice services to York and Cumberland Counties, Maine.
390 US Route OneScarborough, ME 04074
January 19, 2023
- Hospice Care
- Keyboard Instrument
- Music Therapy
- String Instrument
- Wind Instrument
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training