5 people are interested
Hospice of Southern Maine - PawPrints
ORGANIZATION: Hospice of Southern Maine
Please visit the new page to apply.
5 people are interested
Position Title: Paw Prints Program- Volunteer
Hospice of Southern Maine’s mission is to provide compassion, care, and comfort through end of life. Formed through a collaborative effort among York and Cumberland County leaders and health care providers, Hospice of Southern Maine (HSM) organized in 2001 and began providing direct patient services in 2004. Today, HSM cares for more than 1,600 patients annually, at the patient's home, current care facility, and Gosnell Memorial Hospice House, an 18-bed inpatient facility in Scarborough. HSM admits patients with a variety of diagnoses, including Alzheimer's; heart, lung, and kidney diseases; stroke; Lou Gehrig's disease; and cancer. Care is patient-centered with family support and provided by a comprehensive interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, social workers, aides, chaplains, grief counselors, and volunteers. Hospice of Southern Maine is a non-profit 501(c)3.
Primary Location: Gosnell House
Volunteers provide patients, families and HSM staff the opportunity to visit and interact with Therapy Dogs and experience the benefits of the human-animal bond and improve quality of life through human-animal interaction. Paw Prints volunteers work directly with the Gosnell House patient’s, families, and facility residents offering comfort and support through pet visitation.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completes HSM training program and on job training.
- Age requirement: handler must be 21 or older.
- Screening Criteria:
- 2 personal references.
- Successful completion of criminal background check.
Animal Health & Behavior Requirements:
Dog must be ATD registered.
- Dogs must be at least 1 year of age
- Be good around other dogs
- Listen to their handlers
- Allow strangers to touch them all over
- Not jump on people when interacting
- Walk on a leash without pulling
- Not mind strange noises and smells
- Be calm for petting
- Not be afraid of people walking unsteadily
- Be current on all vaccines required by the local laws
- Have a negative fecal test every 12 months
- Be clean and well groomed
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides comfort and support to assigned patients and families in accordance with IDT care plan.
- Provides pet visits to patients and families in all care settings
- Serves as an integral member of and maintains open communication with the HSM staff.
- Maintains and reports volunteer hours
Required Skills, Ability and Knowledge:
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to stay calm and effective during times of stress, such as when interacting with confused or distressed individuals/families.
About Hospice of Southern Maine
390 US Route One, Scarborough, ME 04074, US
compassion, care, and comfort at end of life
Comprehensive hospice services to York and Cumberland Counties, Maine.
390 US Route OneScarborough, ME 04074
November 3, 2023
- Animal Therapy
- Hospice Care
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training