14 people are interested
Peer Health Mentor
ORGANIZATION: Peer Health Exchange
Please visit the new page to apply.
14 people are interested
Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national non-profit organization with a mission to build healthier communities with young people. Together, we create education opportunities for peers to share the tools and resources young people need to make healthy decisions.
Peer Health Exchange recently launched its first version of selfsea, an app co-designed with young people to boost access to inclusive health resources and information for youth everywhere. The app is a place where young people can see themselves reflected within a supportive and inclusive community that prioritizes their identities and experiences about mental health, sexual health, and beyond.
The primary responsibilities of a Peer Health Navigator will be to lead text-based discussions on various health topics as well as build a supportive and safe online experience for young people. This is a fully remote opportunity
- Each Volunteer term is a minimum of 6 months
- · Approx. 4 hours per week
- 3 hours facilitating text-based group discussion (Text-based, on selfsea)
- 1-hour weekly group meeting (Zoom)
- Serve as a mentor for young people and build community on our virtual, text-based app by responding to questions and facilitating group discussions on various topics relating to identity and health. (Text-based, on selfsea)
- Facilitate the development of safe online spaces for high-school age young people to ask questions surrounding vulnerable or stigmatized subjects.
- Use your experiences and training to provide resources, share stories, and relate to young people facing various struggles; Promote problem solving and care within your assigned community.
- Promote mental, physical, emotional, and sexual health.
- Attend pre-service and ongoing trainings on how to respond to questions in a text-based forum
- Attend a 1-hour weekly virtual group meeting with the Digital Wellbeing team and other Peer Health Navigators (on Zoom).
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Peer Health Exchange
100 Webster Street, Suite 300, Oakland, CA 94607, US
Peer Health Exchange’s mission is to empower young people with the knowledge, skills, and resources to make healthy decisions. We do this by training college students to teach a skills-based health curriculum in under-resourced high schools across the country. Our vision is that, Peer Health Exchange, with our partners, will advance health equity and improve health outcomes for young people.
Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national non-profit organization that empowers young people with the knowledge, skills, and resources to make healthy decisions. We do this by training college students to teach a robust skills-based health curriculum in under-resourced high schools across the country. Since our founding in 2003, we have trained more than 8,500 college student volunteers to deliver effective health education to over 115,000 public high school students in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Washington, DC. In 2016, PHE launched a five-year strategic plan to focus on growing our effective model while partnering with health and education systems, as well as communities to build a more integrated, sustainable model for health education. You will be joining an incredibly passionate, collaborative, and committed team working together towards our vision of advancing health equity.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
January 10, 2023
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Each Volunteer term is a minimum of 6 months Approx. 4 hours per week Including: 3 hours facilitating text-based group discussion (Text-based, on selfsea) 1-hour weekly group meeting (Zoom)