FRANCISCAN MISSION SERVICE: DC SERVICE CORPS CHRIST HOUSE - ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR
ORGANIZATION: Franciscan Mission Service
Please visit the new page to apply.
Position Overview: The Activities Coordinator plans and coordinates activities that provide opportunities for community building, creative expression, positive social interaction, leisure skills, education, and diversion as means to enhance the quality of patients’ lives.
About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service (FMS) is a nonprofit organization that provides Catholic laity the opportunity to serve in solidarity with economically marginalized communities around the world. FMS trains, sends, and supports lay Catholics to serve others in a way that is respectful of cultural and religious differences.
About the DC Service Corps Program:
The DC Service Corps (DCSC) Program offers young-adult Catholics opportunities to learn about nonprofits, deepen their commitment to service, grow in faith, and live out the Franciscan values on a daily basis. In the spirit of Saints Francis and St. Clare, volunteers serve for a year in various ministries, sharing Christ’s love and cultivating relationships of peace and justice.
This transformative experience is enriched by an intentional Christian community, in which volunteers focus on simple living, prayer, reflection, and living the Gospel mission of "service and action for a more just and humane world." DCSC also provides its volunteers servant-leadership training, professional development, mentoring, faith formation, and educational seminars rooted in Catholic Social Teaching.
Key Program Benefits:
- Experience serving with a mission-focused nonprofit serving those living on the margins
- A fully-furnished bedroom, $350 monthly stipend and health insurance
- An in-depth orientation and two retreats throughout the term of service
- Spiritual direction and opportunities to deepen one’s faith
- Must be 21-35 years old and have a desire to develop servant leadership skills
- Have a demonstrated commitment to service, social justice, and one’s own faith development
- Open to learning about Franciscan spirituality and committed to living in intentional community.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required. We value life experience too!
- Experience in direct services is preferred, but not required.
About Christ House: Christ House is a short-term medical respite facility in Washington, DC that was founded in 1985. "The mission of Christ House is to provide comprehensive and compassionate care for people experiencing homelessness with acute medical needs in the DC and to offer assistance in addressing critical issues to help break the cycle of homelessness." Learn about the incredible hospitality, care and community Christ House offers its patients at: www.christhouse.org
- Plan and coordinate activities and events for Christ House patients that support their medical, social, spiritual, and recovery needs.
- Lead activities and work with volunteer leaders as well as arranging outside presenters.
- Encourage patient participation in Christ House activities and record attendance
- Be present in the building and available to play games (chess, checkers, Scrabble, ping-pong, etc.) and interact regularly with the patients
- Accompany and transport patients to medical and case management appointments as needed.
- Participate in weekly Community Meetings for all patients by announcing upcoming activities and contributing in other ways as requested.
- Assist the Development Office
- Provide physical assistance/supervision help with mailings.
- Assist with emails/Facebook, and creativity in communications.
- Attend outreach events as needed.
- Gather patient stories and photos for use in written and online communications.
- Submit an application by visiting the following webpage: https://franciscanmissionservice.org/programs/dc-service-corps/#application
- Or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Young-adult Catholics with a heart for service are encouraged to apply, even if they may not meet every qualification listed above
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis; DCSC program year is late-August- July 31.
About Franciscan Mission Service
PO Box 29034, WASHINGTON, DC 20017, US
As Franciscan followers of Christ, we build partnerships with Catholic women and men who are inspired to live and serve in solidarity with economically poor communities across the globe - and to bring the transformative experience of mission to North American societies and churches as advocates for peace, justice, reconciliation and care of creation.
As an international lay Franciscan mission program in North America, Franciscan Mission Service helps Catholics prepare to serve on two-year international, one-year domestic and 1-2 week short-term mission opportunities. Missioners live a simple life in solidarity with their partners: the poor and oppressed in Africa, Latin America, North America and the Caribbean.
415 Michigan Avenue NortheastWashington, DC 20017
January 3, 2023