8 people are interested
Developer Experience Design & Engineering
ORGANIZATION: PublicGood Foundation
Please visit the new page to apply.
8 people are interested
Optimum Developer Experience is important to productivity but in our case investing in DevX is respect for our volunteers whose time and efforts are not to be wasted. We desire to provide a delightful, elegant, it-just-works experience where volunteer efforts are rewarding and meaningful impact is maximized. All of your work product will be open-source, where you will be free to reference the projects publicly, include them in a portfolio, or re-use the work product in your other endeavors as per the license.
There are so many opportunities to do good in this problem space along with multiple correct ways. We are committed to Lean Software Development, Clean Code, and Clean Architecture. Other preferences include:
- Nix based developer environments rather than dockerized shells.
- Shipping sealed artifacts rather than a git refs despite the popularity of gitops.
- Trunk-based workflow with a single long-lived integration branch (in some cases release branches may be appropriate, but nothing like gitflow).
- GitHub & GitHub Actions over GitLab - which make seem a bit odd, but our stance is that the open core model of GitLab is the worst and not the best of both worlds.
- Strategic functional programming over object oriented programming and we like TypeScript, Rust, Ocaml, Haskell, Elixir, Zig, and TLA+ more than Python, PHP, Ruby, and GoLang.
- Moonrepo over Turborepo, pnpm over yarn, swc over esbuild, dprint over prettier, decoupled over end to end tests.
- We gravitate towards a single shared git repository for a particular service boundary or bonded context - even when we do not have a formal DDD context map. Some repositories end up polyglot and most will produce multiple artifacts with independent life cycles and app/service artifacts are deployed.
Solutions initiatives include:
- Instrumenting Flow Metrics with Monte Carlo forecasting.
- Sharable Nix based development and CI environments for polyglot shared repositories with frictionless scaffolding.
- Shareable GitHub Action/workflow for ephemeral staging / review environments leveraging GitHub Deployments API.
- Solution to admin GitHub repositories and orgs by code such as Probot config, Nix, Terraform.
- Changelog gen, semver’d releases and artifacts, compatible with trunk-based workflow and shared repositories.
- Dependency management and supply chain security.
- Developer portal, perhaps using Backstage but we need to support external, ad-hoc contributors.
- Leveraging Bazel for hermetically sealed, distributed, incremental builds with stronger dependency management tools such as nix and when appropriate pnpm.
- Find a way to implement work in progress limits for GitHub Projects.
- Code generator that supports refactoring such as an integration with hygen and recast.
100% remote is great and we typically work asynchronously with video chat meetings as needed. Part-time, on-the-side, volunteering is expected but we could move at a full-time pace and for this initiative we need to avoid situations where the priority or rate of work is slow and progress is never realized.
Thank you for your interest and we will do our best to ensure your efforts make a tangible impact.
About PublicGood Foundation
1603 Capitol Ave., Ste. 310 A264, Cheyenne, WY 82001, US
PublicGood Foundation enables causes and accelerates startups delivering public good.
PublicGood Foundation is a charity, founded to take on the generic and supporting subdomains all nonprofit businesses and initiatives are straddled with, thus allowing social entrepreneurs to focus their energy and talent on the core subdomain - the parts of the operation that are special and unique to their mission.
Expedite meaningful change
Reduce barriers to momentum with flexible, right sized, self-service, business services and infrastructure, including financial, compliance, business management, marketing automation, and employee benefits services.
Endow with guidance, expertise, and capital
Be a trusted, helpful partner in championing our client’s mission with legal, accounting, and fundraising professionals combined with direct granting and lending opportunities.
Achieve sustainability and scale though Open Source and Lean principles
Deliver more value and lower cost to clients of all sizes though building upon the commons and in Lean operations.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
December 23, 2022
- Software Engineering
- System Engineering
- Computer Science
- Product Development
- A min of 15 hours / week to lead an initiative and 8 hours / week for team member, but also interested in engineers needing more of an ad-hoc commitment.