Become a Tour Guide at Central Park Zoo!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Central Park Zoo
Tour guide volunteers at the Central Park Zoo (CPZ) will conduct interactive, engaging, and educational 60-minute tours of the main zoo for school groups ranging from K-12. Tour guides focus on highlighting CPZ’s animal collection, unique biomes, conservation issues, and share anecdotal info that helps visitors connect with wildlife. Including up to 42 people per group, tour guides will wear amplified microphones and speakers and incorporate the use of inquiry-based interpretation when appropriate. Tours will be offered Monday-Friday only, and guides will be assigned to lead them based on indicated availability (applicants must select, and commit to, one weekday). All tour guide volunteers must successfully complete required training , which will be held on Sunday afternoons from late January-mid February, undergo a post-training skills assessment, and successfully pass a federal background check in order to participate in this program.
- Ability to manage and engage large groups of all ages with enthusiasm and clarity (a flare for theatrics is highly encouraged!), and maintain a firm tour timeline
- Commit to providing service one day weekly (9:45a-1p) during our Spring and Summer seasons (tours tend to be far less frequent in the off-season and may not require weekly service)
- Understand and employ zoo safety protocols as needed
- Undergo regular performance assessments
- Communicate regularly with Coordinator of Volunteers and other key staff to ensure accurate and up-to-date zoo information is provided to tour attendees
- Adhere to the volunteer program policies and represent WCS in a professional manner
- Multilingual skills are a plus!
- Opportunities to continuously learn more about conservation and animals, and to make an impact every day through this active role in the zoo community
- Free admission to all 5 WCS parks for the duration of active service
- Discounts on educational programs, as well as on items at our cafe and Zootique (gift shop)
- Supporting WCS’ mission to save wildlife and wild places
To apply, please visit https://centralparkzoo.com/volunteering/adult-volunteers Application deadline: 12/31/22
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
830 5th AvenueNew York, NY 10029
December 21, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK