International Catholic Missioner/Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Franciscan Mission Service
About Franciscan Mission Service:
Franciscan Mission Service is an independent nonprofit that shares and receives God's unconditional love across borders through a way of life that centers marginalized voices and focuses on living out the Gospel values of intercultural encounter, radical inclusion, authentic humility and transformative justice.
About the Overseas Lay Mission Program:
With a Franciscan posture of humility, our missioners enter as guests in another community as they seek to know and learn from those they serve alongside. Missioners cultivate authentic cross-cultural relationships based on mutuality and compassionate presence. Our missioners share God’s love through supporting locally-run ministries as they live in intentional Christian communities rooted in simplicity, reflection, and solidarity. Missioners serve in education, community health, prison ministry, youth ministry, sustainable agriculture, pastoral ministry, and other ministries that are already run by the local community and will continue after missioners return home.
- A lay Catholic open to the Franciscan tradition who can commit to at least two years of service.
- Single, married, or divorced, without dependents -- generally 22-65+ years old (no age limit)
- A resident of the U.S. or Canada who has legal work status in either the U.S. or Canada.
- Prior cross-cultural experience and/or a second language are valuable, though not required.
- FMS’s 3-month formation program is one of the most substantial trainings offered to lay missioners. This intensive time of study, prayer, and service gives missioners the preparation needed to serve abroad in meaningful and cross-culturally sensitive ways.
- Missioners live in an intentional Christian community with other Franciscan lay missioners and in close proximity to Franciscan friars and/or sisters. Specific arrangements vary from site to site.
- Each missioner receives a monthly stipend that covers food, housing, and transportation.
- Health insurance, as well as travel to and from their placement country, are also provided.
- A re-entry stipend will be provided to missioners who meet their support-raising goal.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com to indicate your interest in the program.
Language/Cultral Support Available
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Washington, DC 20017
December 17, 2022