20 people are interested
Serve as a Nonprofit Board Member
ORGANIZATION: Learning Bridge
Please visit the new page to apply.
20 people are interested
Responsibilities of the Board
The mission of Learning Bridge is to match volunteer tutors with children in foster care.
As the highest leadership body of the organization and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the board is responsible for:
- determining the mission and purposes of the organization
- selecting and evaluating the performance of the chief executive
- strategic and organizational planning
- ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management
- fundraising and resource development
- approving and monitoring the organization’s programs and services
- enhancing the organization’s public image
- assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organization
Each individual board member is expected to
- know the organization’s mission, policies, programs, and needs
- faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements
- serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission
- leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the organization’s mission
- give a meaningful personal financial donation
- help identify personal connections that can benefit the organization’s fundraising and reputational standing, and can influence public policy
- prepare for, attend, and conscientiously participate in board meetings
- participate fully in one or more committees
- follow the organization’s bylaws, policies, and board resolutions
- sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update it during the year if necessary, as well as disclose potential conflicts before meetings and actual conflicts during meetings
- maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of the organization
- submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- email the interim executive director, Dr. Kettisha Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
About Learning Bridge
PO Box 160772, Austin, TX 78716, US
Learning Bridge matches tutors with kids in foster care to give them the educational support they need to stay in school, improve academic performance, and achieve greater success later in life.
The idea for Learning Bridge came from our founder’s search for a tutor for her foster daughter. While she found many organizations in central Texas to help kids in foster care, she discovered that no organization existed to address the unique educational needs of kids in foster care. Sadly, only half of youth in foster care graduate from high school and shortly after emancipation, 40-50% of foster youth become homeless. Due to many factors, kids in foster care are often one to two grade levels behind in school.
After a needs assessment and surveys of foster parents, Connect for Success launched as a pilot program at Foster Village in August 2020.
Based on its early success, Learning Bridge launched as a standalone nonprofit, in February 2021and has made a measurable difference in the lives of students in the program.
PO Box 160772Austin, TX 78716
January 21, 2024
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- Members of the board meet quaterly for two hours (virtual). Additional time expected for committee meetings (virtual). There are occasional in-person events (retreat, programming, etc.) approximately 3-4 times a year with notice.
- Members of the board are expected to make an annual contribution and participate in fundraising events. Members are expected to attend meetings as scheduled and plan accordingly.