3 people are interested
Access STEAM Volunteer Tutor
ORGANIZATION: Access, Inc.
Please visit the new page to apply.
3 people are interested
Purpose : To provide academic assistance to Access, Inc. youth as they achieve milestones toward achieving a high school diploma or GED by building successful learning experiences, expanding self-confidence, trying new things and taking risks.
Key Responsibilities :
- Provide tutoring on reading, writing, and STEM subjects
- Provide explanations of curriculum elements to increase understanding and build competencies
- Help youth develop organizational skills and preparation strategies to complete assignments
- Assist youth prepare for tests, projects or other curriculum related requirements
- Provide support, and encouragement as youth progress through their education and training plans
- Prepare for scheduled sessions by collaborating with staff to plan lessons designed specifically for the student or group of students.
- Meet regularly and punctually
- Provide encouragement and support by:
- Helping develop confidence and a positive attitude toward learning by affirming progress
- Showing respect by listening to students
- Giving praise whenever the students are successful and being supportive to work through errors
- Seeking to understand the multi-dimensional challenges that may impact students’ learning
- Keeping staff informed of situations that may require assistance or intervention
- Keeping records of your tutoring hours and other metrics
Location : Tutor individual students, one-on-one, or in small groups, either at local Access, Inc. offices, or through remote electronic sessions.
Supervision : Volunteer Engagement Manager with consultative support from other Access team members with expertise in training, youth support and services. Tutors are part of a coordinated collaborative team approach to serve the youth.
Length of Appointment : A minimum commitment of 3 months. A one-year commitment is preferred.
Time Commitment : An average of one to two hours per week.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED
- Individuals with education and/or experience in STEM fields preferred
- Experience as a tutor/tutoree or mentor/mentee a plus
- Patience, understanding, dependability and flexibility
- Commitment to Access, Inc. mission and diversity, inclusion and equity statement
- Completion of application, background check, orientation
Benefits : Positively impact students by helping them succeed. Meet new people with shared interests. Practice and share skills in training, tutoring, and mentoring. Connect with a non-profit organization that changes lives and makes a difference every day.
Support Provided : Orientation, training, supervision, volunteer engagement and recognition activities. Training in human centered design and person centered trauma informed approaches.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Access, Inc.
2612 Daniel Avenue, San Diego, CA 92111, US
To provide comprehensive education and employment preparation services for foster and former foster youth.
Basic Skill remediation; Pre-Employment Training; Vocational Training; Computer Literacy Community Service
Multiple locations San Diego, CA 92111
December 8, 2022
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Youth Services
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of three month commitment. One to two hours per week.